Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Re: Can I delete VLAN 1 on my switches?

Hi Sahil,

Then in a situation as mine where two switches are connected each other with a LACP link aggregation (trk), and this link aggregation has only tagged VLANs, for example 100, 200 and 300, and there is no untagged VLANs assigned to it, does VLANs 100, 200 and 300 carry data traffic and also protocol messages?

Regards,

Julián

Highlighted
New Contributor

Then in a situation as mine where two switches are connected each other with a LACP link aggregation (trk), and this link aggregation has only tagged VLANs, for example 100, 200 and 300, and there is no untagged VLANs assigned to it, does VLANs 100, 200 and 300 carry data traffic and also protocol messages?

Answer:

Yes, it will carry both data traffic and protocol messages through these VLANS

@fjulianom wrote:

Hi Sahil,

Regards,

Julián

Aruba Employee

IEEE protocols like LLDP, STP and LACP are always transmitted untagged over a link regardless if you only have tagged VLANs assigned on the port. And those protocols have nothing to do with VLAN 1.

Hi Holger,

Thanks very much for the clarification. That makes much more sense than data VLANs are used to carry these protocols.

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: