Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Compatibility Aruba and Juniper EX Switches

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Compatibility Aruba and Juniper EX Switches

Posted Jun 12, 2018 11:20 AM

Hello,

having a client investigating to deploy Juniper EX switches (4300 Series) in the campus core and Aruba (2930F) in the access layer.  Juniper EX mostly because of the VRF-support.

Anybody having experience in the compatibility of those devices / vendors especially when using VSF on Aruba and VC (Virtual Chassis) on Juniper?

Many Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Compatibility Aruba and Juniper EX Switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2018 08:36 AM

VSF on the 2930F is stacking. There should be no issues with whatever is upstream of the stack. 

VRF is a logical separation of L3 functions in a switch so, if the uplinks are mapped to the appropriate VRF instances, it should be fine. 

Net net is that VSF and VRF are not "competing" against each other and serve a different purpose. There should be no issues interoperating 

• 3.  RE: Compatibility Aruba and Juniper EX Switches

Posted Jun 14, 2018 10:31 AM

Hi seth_cse_nh,

many thanks for your feedback.

I probably missed some important information in my question ...

The setup will be a VSF-Stack with multiple Aruba 2930F connected using LACP links to two Juniper switches in a Virtual Chassis.  Meaning the LACP Trunk will spread across multiple Aruba and Juniper devices.

I think it should work, but still wanted to check.

Regards,

Michael

• 4.  RE: Compatibility Aruba and Juniper EX Switches
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2018 10:10 AM

You could have a look at the Aruba 8400/8320 campus core switches as well for this purpose.

• 5.  RE: Compatibility Aruba and Juniper EX Switches
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 04, 2018 11:07 AM

I have a VC of 2 Juniper EX4600 connecting to 2 separate HP 5400zl Switches via a 2x10G port channel. Works without problems, failover as well. No experience with HPE/Aruba VSF, though. I can't test that for you though, as I have only one 2930F here at the moment.

• 6.  RE: Compatibility Aruba and Juniper EX Switches

Posted Jul 05, 2018 06:41 AM

Many Thanks for all information.

@Herman

I have checked on the 8320/8400 and those would be a fit, but due to client requirements we have to propose with Juniper.

@ bawe

That was what I was looking for. Will see how the client decides and share some further experience.