Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Help for upgrading my switches

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Help for upgrading my switches

Posted Jun 28, 2018 10:44 AM

Hi gurus,

My switches currently run WC.16.03.0005 and I want to upgrade to latest version WC.16.05.0007. I browsed the release notes to check if I need to upgrade the Boot ROM Version (currently WC.16.01.0003) but it says nothing about that, so I can't upgrade, I must know this. Do you know where I can find this information? If I need to upgrade the Boot ROM Version, where are the ROM versions in the portal? I can't see them. And finally, within the portal I can see current releases, previous releases, certified and archived, what's the difference between them? Please your help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 11:09 AM

The bootrom will be upgraded automatically, just schedule a few more minutes for the switch upgrade. From the release notes:

If your switch has an older version of BootROM, the BootROM will be updated with this version of software.

During the software update, the switch will automatically boot twice. The switch will update the primary BootROM, then reboot, and then update the secondary BootROM. After the switch flash memory is updated and the final boot is initiated, no additional user intervention is needed. Do not interrupt power to the switch during this important update.

In my experience, this just works without any worries.

• 3.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

Posted Jun 28, 2018 02:11 PM

Hi Herman,

You are right! I was quick searching for "boot rom" and not for "bootrom", and therefore I got no results. What about the releases?

And finally, within the portal I can see current releases, previous releases, certified and archived, what's the difference between them?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 11:07 PM
    Bootrom will auto update after update the firmware if needed.

• 5.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

Posted Jun 29, 2018 10:26 AM
    Yeah, finally I upgraded my switches and the boot ROM update is automatic, and the process is very easy via http. I upgraded to the latest release within current releases, but I still don't know the difference of this kind of releases and the others I mentioned before.

Regards,
    Julián

• 6.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2018 12:47 AM

Hi Julian,

In regards to your question about the firmware's being listed under "Current releases", "Previous releases" "Certified" & " Archieved".

• The frimware's under "Certified" are especially for the use of DOD ( Department of defence).
    • The firmware's which are mentioned as Maintanence are final release for that Sub version, it has maximum fixes for bug. Also considered the most reliable firmwares. Recommended for environments which does not need frequent change or update.
    • The firmware's under Current releases are the most latest releases.
    • The firmware's under Previous releases are the Old ones.
    • The firmware's under "Archived" are the ones in which there is no development going on currently.

I hope this helps!

If you like my posts, kudo's are welcome. If it solves your problem, please click 'Accept as Solution

• 7.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

Posted Jul 02, 2018 04:55 PM

Hi Kashif77,

Valuable information, thanks very much! The last doubt, for the 2930F switch there are the following current releases:

releases.JPG

So, does this mean the most secure release with no bugs at all is WC.16.02.0022m? If so, does that mean I will have to lose all the benefits of releases from WC.16.03.0007 on?

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 11, 2018 08:05 PM

Hi Julián!

As Kashif77 mentioned, Maintenance builds are final releases for that sub version. In your example, that means that there should not be an officially released 16.02.xxxx build after that (except for extremely critical fixes).

This is useful for customers that will not update or require new features to upgrade for, as well as for companies that have strict code change policies.  These customers can rely on the stability of the dependable maintenance version.

In most cases, however, the general bug fixes that are added into the 16.02 builds are rolled into the 16.03 builds and the proceeding builds thereafter, so later builds will have the bug fixes in addition to newer features and releases.  That is to say that if there are functionalities that you intend to use in later releases, there shouldn't be open bugs fom previous versions.

• 9.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

Posted Jul 11, 2018 10:19 PM
    Hi Alvin,

I understand that Maintenance builds are final releases for that sub version, but according to Kashif77 they are also the most reliable ones and with more fixes.

"The firmware's which are mentioned as Maintenance are final release for that Sub version, it has maximum fixes for bug. Also considered the most reliable firmwares."

So in the example of the 2930F switch, I consider WC.16.02.0022m is more reliable than WC.16.06.0006, because the latter has no Maintenance release yet, therefore could have some bugs, and the former is Maintenance, then it has no bugs. Is this correct?

Regards,
    Julián

• 10.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2018 10:30 AM

Hi Julián!

It is safe to say that maintenance builds have the most stability, and with less code changes that leads to the smallest likelihood of running into any bugs.

However, I did want to specify that the later releases also do have the previous releases' bug fixes rolled in.  While new features and code changes might possibly lead to more bugs, our quality assurance engineers work around the clock to make sure that every build is as bug-free as possible.

So if there are functionalities that you need in a later build and you aren't in an environment that has a strict firmware build change policy, feel free to load a later build on a secondary image to give it a try.  Otherwise, the maintenance releases are considered a safe choice.

• 11.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

Posted Jul 12, 2018 10:37 AM

Hi Alvin,

Ok, I understand. And therefore, for instance, if I need only the features of version WC.16.02, I can say that WC.16.02.0022m is as reliable as WC.16.06.0006, right?

Regards,

Julián

• 12.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2018 10:45 AM

Hi Julián,

Yes, the WC.16.02.0022m is just as reliable as WC.16.06.0006.

Have a great day!

Cheers,

Alvin

• 13.  RE: Help for upgrading my switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 13, 2018 09:48 AM

Or, better: the very latest WC.16.06.0006 software release is just as reliable as the latest maintenance software release WC.16.02.0022m (actually really WC.16.02.0025) is...considering that the former is incorporating a lot of new features that the latter necessarily hasn't.