Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

How to identify neighbor switches

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  How to identify neighbor switches

Posted Feb 13, 2014 01:21 PM

On the S2500/3500 switches is there a command in either the cli or the web UI to show the identity (probably by the MAC address of the uplink port) of neighbor switches? I've tried a number of things: looking at the MAC address table, LLDP output, neighbor-devices output, but none of that shows me what's at the other end of a link. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jon Koelker

Oyster River School District

Durham, NH

• 2.  RE: How to identify neighbor switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2014 01:24 PM

Jon,

Are you saying that the neighbor-devices output is empty for those ports or that command doesn't show you enough detail. The MAC address table will only show you MAC addresses. We can't do an OUI lookup to tell you the vendor of that MAC.

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: How to identify neighbor switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2014 02:15 PM

Is LLDP enabled on all the inter switch links?

A show LLDP neighbor should tell you...

• 4.  RE: How to identify neighbor switches

Posted Feb 13, 2014 03:05 PM

Hi Jon,

Can you check & confirm if LLDP transmit & recive processing is enabled  under the applied lldp-profile?

Verify configs at both at interface-group & interface level.

By default, if you haven't changed/touched any config w.r.t to LLDP, It show with 'show lldp neighbor' & 'show neighbor-devices'

Thanks,

-Vinay

• 5.  RE: How to identify neighbor switches

Posted Feb 14, 2014 09:53 AM

Hi, Vinay - please see my response to Madani's post.

Here's the lldp profile info from one of our switch stacks:

interface-profile lldp-profile "lldp-factory-initial"
    lldp transmit
    lldp receive
    med enable

Thanks.

jk

• 6.  RE: How to identify neighbor switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2014 10:03 AM

John,

Send the actual "interface gigabitethernet...", "interface-group gigabitethernet..." and/or "interface port-channel..." config output that covers the switch to switch links and from both sides.

Best regards,

Madani

• 7.  RE: How to identify neighbor switches

Posted Feb 14, 2014 10:01 AM

Hi, Seth - all the 'show lldp neighbor' command gives me is phones and APs - no directly connected switches......

• 8.  RE: How to identify neighbor switches

Posted Feb 14, 2014 09:48 AM

Hi, Madani - as far as I can tell, the output from 'show lldp neighbor' shows only APs and phones - not the switchport at the other end of an uplink. If I specify 'show lldp neighbor interface gigabitethernet 2/1/1', which is an interface that I know to be an inter-switch link, it returns 'Number of neighbors: 0'. Perhaps that's because that interface is part of a port channel?

I don't really need to know the OUI because the connected switch is also an Aruba switch. I'm just trying to confirm (for documentation purposes) which switchports on each device connect to which switchports on the upstream/downstream device.