Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

I need to configure a cisco 3750 floor switch for both employee and guest internet access.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I need to configure a cisco 3750 floor switch for both employee and guest internet access.

Posted Feb 02, 2015 11:19 AM

We are just now implementing a wireless solution. My engineer that spec'd out the products and design plan has opted for greener pastures leaving me with the implementation. I have zero wireless experience. What I need to do is set up wireless for employees and guest internet access. I have multiple floors. Each floor has a vlan assigned (21 - 27), guest internet is allowed through vlan 4. We have a management vlan (145) that essentially replaces the standard vlan 1 which we have shutdown. . I am utilizing Cisco 3750 switches (stacked) on each floor which connect to a core vss. I have airwave 8.0 installed on the network.

I am working on the first floor initially. I am using one cable to each IAP-255. Initially, the iap's aquired an 10.21 dhcp address. I can access them from ssh as well as webgui.

My cisco switch port is configured as follows

interface FastEthernet2/0/19
     description Training RM AP
     switchport access vlan 21
     switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
     switchport trunk native vlan 21
     switchport trunk allowed vlan 2-5,12,21,22,145,401
     switchport mode trunk

Should I use vlan 145 as "native vlan" and assign a static IP to the IAP-225 as this vlan does not have dhcp. Currently, the iap has a dhcp address from vlan 21. Both vlan 4 and 21 have dhcp setup. I have many more questions but am looking at some training classes in an effort not to wear out my welcome.

#AP225

• 2.  RE: I need to configure a cisco 3750 floor switch for both employee and guest internet access.

Posted Feb 02, 2015 11:28 AM
    Your native VLAN should be 145 , you need to define this on your switch and also in the wired profile on the IAP VC

If you have more than 1 IAP you should consider having an external DHCP server available on that VLAN if possible otherwise you need to assign static IP addresses using the IAP console .

• 3.  RE: I need to configure a cisco 3750 floor switch for both employee and guest internet access.

Posted Feb 02, 2015 11:30 AM
    For training on the instant products , there's a free on demand class:
    http://cloud.arubanetworks.com/instant-training

• 4.  RE: I need to configure a cisco 3750 floor switch for both employee and guest internet access.

Posted Feb 02, 2015 03:54 PM

Victor,

Thanks for the reply. Just finished the instant training videos. They were an enormous help. a couple of questions. should native vlan and switchport access vlan be the same? And unfortunately vlan 145 is our management vlan and the only vlan without dhcp.So, I will need to add static ip via cli. Can I just swap out the aquired dhcp address (wrong vlan) with or is there a more refined method? Thanks again.

• 5.  RE: I need to configure a cisco 3750 floor switch for both employee and guest internet access.
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 02, 2015 06:07 PM

should native vlan and switchport access vlan be the same? Yes

Can I just swap out the aquired dhcp address (wrong vlan) with or is there a more refined method?
    You will need to reboot the AP and from the AP console interrupt the boot process and assign the right IP address.

Here's the instructions on how to do that:

2015-02-02 18_05_23-Managing AP Console Settings.png

• 6.  RE: I need to configure a cisco 3750 floor switch for both employee and guest internet access.

Posted Feb 03, 2015 05:51 PM

You sir are a life saver !! Thank you for your assistance and expertise.