Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant vs RAP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Instant vs RAP

Posted Oct 31, 2016 11:45 AM

Hi,

I am considering what to choose for a remote campus where are about 50 access points needed. They are connected to the main site via vpn. At the main sitethere is an operational active-standby master pair with enough capacity to support the extra RAPs if needed.

Extra controllers won't be installed at the remote campus (budget wise).

Airwave is available.

Most of the traffic will be local, some traffic will go to the main campus, Internet breakout will be local.

Should I choose to use an Instant cluster solution or rather RAPs?

Is there a recommended maximum of RAPs, installed in one location, terminating on one central controller?

I always prefer controller-based actually, but in this case I'm not sure what to choose.

Br

Peter

• 2.  RE: Instant vs RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2016 11:49 AM
    Definitely not RAP. Generally 1-3 RAPs per location is recommended.

I'd recommend either a 7030 controller or Instant.

• 3.  RE: Instant vs RAP

Posted Nov 08, 2016 03:37 AM

Hi Tim

Thx for your answer. May I ask why this is the recommendation? Is there some limitation or is it based on ipsec overhead and efficiency?

Br

Peter

• 4.  RE: Instant vs RAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2016 03:41 AM

It is more based on how many ipsec tunnels certain routers/firewalls can pass to/from the same location.  Some router/firewall hardware is limited to only a single ipsec connection.  Even some that can pass more also have a limit, but performance can also be a consideration.  It is a mixed bag.

In addition, like you said ipsec overhead and efficiency are always a consideration, as well.

• 5.  RE: Instant vs RAP

Posted Nov 08, 2016 04:04 AM

Thx both!