Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

MAS: Stack member is dormant

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  MAS: Stack member is dormant

Posted Feb 18, 2014 10:19 AM

I have two 2500's in a stack.  Member 0 is primary and member 1 is a linecard.  The current state of the linecard is Dormant due to  version mismatch.  I can't figure out how to upgrade member 1 to clear up the version mismatch.  I can't find a copy command that allows copying between stack members.  The ability to upgrade from USB isn't available.  All attempts to remove the linecard from the stack fail.  It's not very clear what to do when presented with two stack members of different versions.  Any thoughts on what I can do?

• 2.  RE: MAS: Stack member is dormant

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2014 10:37 AM

Thecompnerd,

You cannot copy an active image from member 0 to member 1 however you can use TFTP/SCP/FTP to retrieve an image for the dormant member via the active network connection of member 0. Here is the syntax:

copy tftp: <IP-Address> <Image-Name> member: <ID> system: partition [ 0 | 1 ]

Once that is done you can do "reload <member-ID>"

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: MAS: Stack member is dormant

Posted Feb 18, 2014 10:45 AM

These devices are for a lab, so I won't be putting them on our corporate network where a TFTP resides.  I suppose I could use my computer with a TFTP client, but there's got to be an easier way.  I'm thinking maybe my best bet is to somehow remove member 1 from the stack and upgrade via USB.  Since I'm not having any luck removing member 1 from the stack, do I need to do a factory reset and unplug the stack cable?

• 4.  RE: MAS: Stack member is dormant

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2014 10:51 AM

Physically disconnect member 1 and issue "restore factory_default stacking". This will cause a reboot.

On the exisiting primary, issue "clear stacking member-id 1".

Once member 1 has rebooted, use the USB to upgrade the member. I would then halt the member, attach it to the stack, and boot it up.

Best regards,

Madani

• 5.  RE: MAS: Stack member is dormant
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 18, 2014 11:26 AM

Had one minor issue with those commands.  When I disconnected the stack, I was booted into line card mode in the CLI and couldn't clear stack member 1.  This is what I did to resolve my problem:

1. Disconnect DAC
    2. Console to member 1 and copy image from USB
    3. Reload member 1
    4. Reconnect DAC

Thanks for the help, Madani.

• 6.  RE: MAS: Stack member is dormant

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2014 11:31 AM

Ah, make sure that you have "no split-detection" enabled for two member stacks. That should avoid the problem of member 0 going to linecard state.

• 7.  RE: MAS: Stack member is dormant

Posted Feb 18, 2014 11:51 AM

Ahh, yes!  Thank you.