Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

S3500 Switch Clone

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 01:59 PM

Hey all,

There's a test switch we use and it's about full, so I wanted to know if there was an easy way for me to copy the configuration on the nearly full switch and load it up on the new one. Any advice would be very helpful.

• 2.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2013 02:02 PM

You can copy the config off of the switch via TFTP or SCP, put it on a USB drive, then copy it from the USB drive to the new switch, console in and point it to boot to from the config file.

#copy usb exportedconfig.cfg flash: exportedconfig.cfg

#boot config-file exportedconfig.cfg

#wr mem

#reload

• 3.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 02:04 PM

Holy crap that was fast.

Thank you. Kudos to you, good sir. 

• 4.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2013 02:07 PM

I realized I added an extra step. You can also just copy the config directly from the old switch to the usb drive and skip the TFTP/SCP step. Depends on whether you have physical access to the old switch.

#copy running-config flash: config.cfg

#copy flash: config.cfg usb

• 5.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 02:40 PM

Yea I have full access to everything, so I'm going to do just that.

• 6.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 03:19 PM

(old lab switch) #copy running-config flash: config.cfg
    (old lab switch) #copy flash: config.cfg usb
    WARNING: This will erase all data on USB stick. Do you really want to continue: (y/n): y
    Error copying image:/flash/config.cfg: No such file or directory

Any ideas, Tim?

• 7.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 03:33 PM

Tim is mostly right here in that the comands exist, but the process to copy to USB never worked for me.

I would do a copy to tftp and take it from there. 

John

• 8.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2013 03:37 PM

The ability to save a configuration file to USB is not currently supported. The existing functionality is to "snapshot" a system partition to USB.

Best regards,

Madani

• 9.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 04:12 PM

Will do, thank you.

• 10.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 04:44 PM

John,

I don't have the knowledge on S3500s like I should, so would it be possible if you could outline them for me? I'd appreciate it.

Also, if TFTP server image copy isn't an option, what alternatives do I have?

• 11.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 22, 2013 06:03 PM

You can run a TFTP server on your laptop or desktop temporarily (tftpd32 is what I use in Windows), and make that the destination.

Or:

wr mem

backup flash

copy flash: flashbackup.tar.gz usb

The config file should be inside the archive in the config folder.

• 12.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 23, 2013 10:41 AM

Great, thanks Joel.

• 13.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:28 AM

Will "cloning" the config, as I'm doing here, also carry over the OS version of the source switch?

• 14.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:29 AM

It should copy everything in the flash including the AOS image.

• 15.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:41 AM

The "backup flash" command does not include a copy of the AOS image on the Mobility Access Switches.

Best regards,

Madani

• 16.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 11:43 AM

I should have added, if you have the image copied to flash. If you copy directly to a system partition, then no.

• 17.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:01 PM

Also I missed this earlier but this "copy flash: flashbackup.tar.gz usb" will not work. As I mentioned earlier, we don't support saving to the USB in the current software release with the exception of partition images.

• 18.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:42 PM

Ok. Essentially what I plan on doing is making it as painless as possible to setup a new switch for our lab by "cloning" our existing lab switch to a new one (which should copy over all switching-profile profiles as well, hopefully ... right?) and hooking up a number of APs (even an AP225! Woot!) and testing them.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks!

• 19.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:31 PM

Oh, did I mention that I wanted to stack this cloned switch? Not sure how I'm going to do that, either. I looked for the old eLearning training videos on this switch on LMS, but I didn't find it; I only found one $1,500 course that covers the switch, so I guess it's been monetized. Darn.

Anyone point me in the direction of the commands I'll need to implement stacking using a cloned config?

Edit: I'm planning on running ethernet from port 0 to port 0, since the two switches are about 20 feet apart from eachother.

Thanks!

• 20.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:34 PM

I'm a little confused, do you want to stack the two switches together, original and proposed cloned?

• 21.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:40 PM

@madjali wrote:

I'm a little confused, do you want to stack the two switches together, original and proposed cloned?

Correct, but I won't be using the typical stacking fiber configuration that you see in IDFs or on racks, I'll be running a 20ft cat6 cable from port 0/0/0 of our old switch, to port 0/0/0 of the new cloned one. What that means is, I believe, that I'll have to clear the IP information from the new switch (what we'll call secondary / slave / etc) so that it doesn't conflict with the primary switch (the old switch). Does that make sense? Here's the TL;DR version.

Main lab switch is almost out of ports, hey here's another switch to use that hasn't ever been configured / touched, ok let's have it be an extension of our lab switch.

That's basically the bottom line.

• 22.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:53 PM

Now I understand. So if you are stacking the two switches, you do not need to migrate the configuration over to the second switch. Stacking takes care of that.

Now that said, since you want to use base ports for stacking, we only support the use of ports 0/0/22 (24 port switches), 0/0/23 (24 port switches), 0/0/46 (48 port switches) or 0/0/47 (48 port switches) for that. By default these ports are treated like normal ports so you need to change them to stacking ports. To do that, issue the following on the CLI of the active switch

add stacking interface stack 0/47

* Assumes you want to use port 0/0/47

If this a two member stack, use the following configuration and remember to save.

!

stack-profile
       no split-detection
       member-id 0 election-priority 255
       member-id 1 election-priority 255
    !

Then on the second (new switch) first make sure the configuration has been defaulted (restore factory_default stacking). It will then reboot. Once it is up and running, issue the following:

Now connect the two switches and the second (new switch) should become part of the stack.

Remember that both switches must be running the same version of AOS. Base port stacking was added in 7.2.1.0. The latest maintenance release on our site is 7.2.2.1.

Best regards,

Madani

• 23.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:26 PM

@madjali wrote:

Now I understand. So if you are stacking the two switches, you do not need to migrate the configuration over to the second switch. Stacking takes care of that.

Now that said, since you want to use base ports for stacking, we only support the use of ports 0/0/22 (24 port switches), 0/0/23 (24 port switches), 0/0/46 (48 port switches) or 0/0/47 (48 port switches) for that. By default these ports are treated like normal ports so you need to change them to stacking ports. To do that, issue the following on the CLI of the active switch

If this a two member stack, use the following configuration and remember to save.

!

stack-profile
       no split-detection
       member-id 0 election-priority 255
       member-id 1 election-priority 255
    !

Then on the second (new switch) first make sure the configuration has been defaulted (restore factory_default stacking). It will then reboot. Once it is up and running, issue the following:

Now connect the two switches and the second (new switch) should become part of the stack.

Remember that both switches must be running the same version of AOS. Base port stacking was added in 7.2.1.0. The latest maintenance release on our site is 7.2.2.1.

Best regards,

Madani

Great information! Thank you!

• 24.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:29 PM

From console (on the new switch), and with the 7.2.2.0 image on my computer, how do I push the image to the switch? Does the new switch need its own IP address? (since it's going to be stacked)

• 25.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:33 PM
    You will need to copy the image from usb or from a server (scp/tftp) to
    the new member. The stack is one logical switch so one management IP can be
    used to access the whole stack.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10

• 26.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:36 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    You will need to copy the image from usb or from a server (scp/tftp) to
    the new member. The stack is one logical switch so one management IP can be
    used to access the whole stack.

Ok, that contradicts what has been said about USB transfering being unavailable. I wish there was a straight-forward way, outside of the GUI, to transfer the image from my computer to a partition, and then I'd use the front LCD panel to upgrade, because right now it's on 7.0.2.0, and I don't have an IP for this switch ...

• 27.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:39 PM
    Copy from usb to the stack works, some copy from the stack to usb
    functions are not currently available.

• 28.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:40 PM

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

• 29.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:44 PM

You can copy from the USB, you cannot copy to the USB in the current release.

Also I don't understand this part "I wish there was a straight-forward way, outside of the GUI, to transfer the image from my computer to a partition, and then I'd use the front LCD panel to upgrade, because right now it's on 7.0.2.0, and I don't have an IP for this switch..."

If you don't have an IP address on the switch, there is no way for your computer to push an image to it. We do support pulling the image via TFTP, SCP and FTP.  And these can be down in the CLI as opposed to the GUI but again, you need at least IP connectivity.

The USB method is the easiest and quickest given the above circumstances.

Also, since that unit is running 7.0.2.0, it did not support stacking yet so it won't join the existing stack even in a dormant state.

• 30.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:51 PM

@madjali wrote:

You can copy from the USB, you cannot copy to the USB in the current release.

Also I don't understand this part "I wish there was a straight-forward way, outside of the GUI, to transfer the image from my computer to a partition, and then I'd use the front LCD panel to upgrade, because right now it's on 7.0.2.0, and I don't have an IP for this switch..."

If you don't have an IP address on the switch, there is no way for your computer to push an image to it. We do support pulling the image via TFTP, SCP and FTP.  And these can be down in the CLI as opposed to the GUI but again, you need at least IP connectivity.

The USB method is the easiest and quickest given the above circumstances.

Also, since that unit is running 7.0.2.0, it did not support stacking yet so it won't join the existing stack even in a dormant state.

I know, that's why I'm upgrading the image. Since I don't have an IP address, I'm consoled into the switch. I can access the switch on a root level, and I have a USB drive in the switch, so now all I need to do is have the switch pull the config from the USB stick, upgrade, reboot, and I'm good, I just need to know how to do that, and I think it's already been presented on this thread ... just need to double-check.

Thanks

• 31.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 06:09 PM

Alright, got it working. Here's what I did.

#copy usb ArubaOS_MAS_7.2.2.1_38712 system: partition 0

#boot system: partition 0

#wr mem

#reload

At this point, the switch reloaded and upgraded the image. Now I can base stack the switches.

Thanks for all the help!

• 32.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 06:21 PM

Just remember you have to enable the base ports for stacking. :)

• 33.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

Posted Jul 26, 2013 10:01 PM

@madjali wrote:

Just remember you have to enable the base ports for stacking. :)

Yup, I did. Everything is working as it should. The initial "grab", so to speak, from the primary to the secondary switch was strange, as the switch had this strange "Init 00 00 00" message on the LCD panel for a while, but I was consoled in and could see what was happening, so all is well.

Thanks again!

• 34.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2013 02:55 PM

Copying to USB is now supported on the recently released 7.3 code.

Enhanced USB Operations

The Mobility Access Switch can read and write files to an attached USB drive which can be used to upgrade software images or configurations files and also backup configurations or stored files on the local flash. Directories on the USB drive can also be created, deleted or viewed in addition to renaming and deleting files.

• 35.  RE: S3500 Switch Clone

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:35 PM

Instead of configuring the switch with IP addresses and such, its probably easiest to just put the image on a USB drive and then you can do this from the console:

copy usb <IMAGE> system: partition [ 0 | 1 ]

<IMAGE> being the file name of the image

partition [ 0 | 1 ] being either partition 0 or 1.

I would match the images on the existing switch. You can see that by issuing "show image version" on the existing switch and you can manimpulate the boot image by using the "boot system partition [ 0 | 1 ]" command.