Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

SNMPv3 Notifiy on Aruba 5400R / 3810M vs SNMPv2c Traps

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  SNMPv3 Notifiy on Aruba 5400R / 3810M vs SNMPv2c Traps

Posted Feb 21, 2018 08:22 PM

I am confused about SNMPv3 notify and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My goal is to move the cusotmer environment to SNMPv3 only.

For v2 traps, I used to be able to select/control which traps were sent using commands such as:

snmp-server enable traps link-change 1-48

Is this an option using v3? What traps does the notify command send to the host?

snmpv3 notify "TEST" tagvalue "TAGTEST"
    snmpv3 targetaddress "NMN" params "PARMSTEST" 1.2.3.4 taglist "TAGTEST"
    snmpv3 params "PARMSTEST" user "USER" sec-model ver3 message-processing ver3 priv

• 2.  RE: SNMPv3 Notifiy on Aruba 5400R / 3810M vs SNMPv2c Traps
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2018 03:01 AM

Hi, The notification process is used to authenticated and encrypt messages between switch and network management station. TargetAddress is the destinations of traps or informs. If everything is correct you can still use normal snmp-server enable traps link-change for e.g. to configure types of traps.

• 3.  RE: SNMPv3 Notifiy on Aruba 5400R / 3810M vs SNMPv2c Traps

Posted Feb 22, 2018 08:50 AM
    Perfect, that answers my question.

Out of curiosity, so there is no real purpose behind this lineof config then?

• 4.  RE: SNMPv3 Notifiy on Aruba 5400R / 3810M vs SNMPv2c Traps

Posted May 07, 2018 08:44 PM

I'd also like to know the reason for this notify element in aruba documentation

It is highly confusion as it appears to have no purpose but in documentation is presented as somehow important.  It is some type of future featureset that has not yet been implemented?   Can we get an official answer on this please?  Thank you.