Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

STP topology change alerts in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  STP topology change alerts in Airwave

Posted May 03, 2017 09:38 AM

Every so often I see alerts in Airwave that include detail messages like this:

Flushing mac-addresses on GE<#> vlan-id <vlan> due to STP topology change 

I'm not sure how to interpret this message since I'm not aware of any STP topology change having taken place. 

Anyone have an insight on this?

• 2.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2017 10:01 AM

Hi ,

Could you share complete screen shot of system>trigger conditon which is getting triggered and screen shot of system>alerts

Regards,

Pavan

• 3.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

Posted May 03, 2017 10:32 AM

Hi, Pavan - here's the screen shot of the alert showing the triggering event and the condition editing page.

• 4.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2017 10:50 AM

Hi Jon,

Incident happend almost most one month back i.e on 4th April and it very difficult to trace out whether really their is  really change in topology on controller/switch  (ORHS-IDF_A-1)reported VLANs, those logs might got flushed out by now on device.

Regards,

Pavan

• 5.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

Posted May 03, 2017 02:07 PM
      |   view attached

Sorry, didn't notice the date. Here's one from today.

• 6.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2017 04:56 AM

Hi Jon,

Airwave tigger alert based on device events which it received, could you check the ORHS-IDF_A-1 device  AMP device events and Device events  section in APs/Device>Montior page whether any entry related to topology change during the time when airwave triggered alert, if we have log entries then I would recommand to open AOS TAC to look in to this issue on device side.

Regards,

Pavan

• 7.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

Posted May 04, 2017 01:03 PM
      |   view attached

Here's a shot of some of the events preceding the alert. I don't think I see anything that's specifically related to topology changes.

• 8.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2017 02:13 PM

Hi,

Syslog is sent from that particular device, I would recommand to open AOS TAC ticket to look in to this issue. In Airwave we cant do much on this issue, since syslog triggered from device based on this Airwave triggered alert.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post address your query, give kudos:)

• 9.  RE: STP topology change alerts in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 09:42 PM

Hi,

I've troubleshooted alot of STP issues in the past.

Just to share my experience, I've encountered multiple TCN (Topology Change Notifications), and I've traced based on the ports that initiated the TCN. In this ocassion, I've access 3 to 4 switches and traced the TCN source to an access port on VLAN 2 was wrongly connected to a port in VLAN 8 connected to a Cisco switch running PVST. Unexpected results cause TCN constantly being alerted.

So, I'm curious, where does this port GE1/0/46 go to? A workstation/server, another switch? If it is a switch, can you check if there is a TCN there too?