Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Switch/AP intergation Recommendation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Switch/AP intergation Recommendation

Posted Sep 06, 2017 11:36 PM

Hi all,

I am not sure if this the is the right catergory to be posting at but I just wanted to ask what would be a good Layer 2/3 switch from any brand. It doesn't have to Aruba or any mainstream brands.

We currently have 3x S2500-48P paired with IAP-225 APs.

We run a low to ultra-low latency enviroment so we also have the Arista 7050S-52 as leaf and the 7150s as Spine.

The Arista is sort of unused at the moment since none of our clients require ultra-low latency at the moment.

I think what we want would be something along the same league as the Aruba instead of the Arista because the Arista is on a different level.

We want something that can be on SDN, a solid WebUI management, somewhere along the same throughput as the Aruba and also similar AP integration. We don't mind having to go into CLI to set things up.

I know its hard to weigh between usability and performance, 1 has to be compromised. I was initially looking at Ubiquiti UniFi Switches however I was told that those were not enterprise level switches.

Maybe a little background on our office. We have traders doing equity, ETF, bonds and other forms of trading while another client is doing algorithm programming.

We also have Cisco phones which means we will need something that does POE, the Arista doesn’t do POE.

We also looked at MetaMako, Mallanox and so on. Retail type switches are out. We do have CCTVs but that is not important.

Here is the list of things we are looking at to determine a possible future upgrade:

Forward rate

PoE/PoE+

Throughput

Loop Protections

Reliability & Redundancy (we cannot afford to have any downtime)

SDN

Stacking

Syslog

I would love to hear your recommendations and why. Any inputs are very much welcome.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Switch/AP intergation Recommendation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2017 04:12 AM

I would have a look at the new ArubaOS switches, which have the best of the Aruba S2500 switches and the old HP switch line combined in one product. Please check with your partner or local Aruba team to see how to fit your requirements (and more).

• 3.  RE: Switch/AP intergation Recommendation

Posted Sep 07, 2017 12:56 PM

take a look at the ArubaOS line of switches escpially those that support the 'Auto configuration upon Aruba AP detection' feature which will be very handy as you have IAP deployment already