Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Switches randomly changing minor firmware version

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Switches randomly changing minor firmware version

Posted Jul 28, 2015 02:51 AM

We recently setup a trigger for email alerts when switches go offline. (Access Mobility Switches S2500/S3500 models) and we've noticed that switches constantly go down for 3-5 minutes for minor firmware changes. For instance we received an email that switch 32-MDF1 went down and the log shows this at the time of it going down:
    "Mon Jul 27 21:39:46 2015 System Firmware changed from '7.4.0.2_48818' to '7.4.0.2'"

We initially thought that it was a bad firmware version perhaps, so we upgraded a series of our switches FROM 7.3.x.x_xxxx to 7.4.0.2_48818 to try and rule that out. However, it is occurring on multiple switches with both versions of the firmware. Has anyone seen this or have some ideas on an option I'm possibly overlooking?

It may also be worth noting that our switches will not take firmware upgrades when in "Monitor only + firmware upgrade" mode in airwave. We have to switch them to "Manage Read/Write" in order for the firmware to upgrade, which I thought was kind of odd.

Airwave version: 8.0.8.1

• 2.  RE: Switches randomly changing minor firmware version

Posted Jul 28, 2015 06:21 AM

HI,

It is not an expected behaviour of MAS, I believe issue can be fixed if you upgrade it to the latest code.

I advice you to take TAC help on this.

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 3.  RE: Switches randomly changing minor firmware version

Posted Jul 28, 2015 11:43 AM

Thank you for your input. I have opened a support case and I will update with what we find.

• 4.  RE: Switches randomly changing minor firmware version

Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:34 AM

Did you get this resolved?

If not, did this start happening before/after enabling "Manage read/write" in Airwave?

• 5.  RE: Switches randomly changing minor firmware version

Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:41 AM

It started happening BEFORE. All of the switches are in "Monitor Only + Firmware Upgrade," but we have all of the firmware upgrade options disabled for the switch group. I opened a support case but we have not found a cause.