Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

Hi experts,

I am very new with Aruba switches and VSF, so I have a doubt about a topology I have to implement. I have four 2930F switches, two of them will form a VSF core switch and the other two will form a VSF access switch:

vsf2.png

Because the logical topology looks like only two swittche with a link aggregation between them, there won't be L2 loops, so I don't need to enable STP. Am I correct with this assumption?

Thanks in advance,

Julián

MVP

Re: VSF and Link Aggregation doubt

Im pretty sure your correct but I have not tried it.. see here page 606

Distributed trunking The Ethernet link aggregation feature can be used to aggregate physical links between the VSF and its upstream or downstream devices across the VSF members. This eliminates the need for spanning tree and also provides load balancing across all ports of the link aggregate.

Sean Rynearson
Contributor II

Hello !

You are right. But ...

1º Accidentally you can have loop in case of inclusion of hubs or the user interconnect the ends of the same cable in the switch.
2º Depending on the method of aggregation (static / dynamic).

Whenever I can, I avoid the use of STP in my projects, however and need to be guaranteed of the above points ...

|ATP FLEXNETWORK V3|ACSA
Contributor II

Hello !

The use of "Distributed trunking" is not appropriate in this case, since it is used in separate switches (without VSF / IRF).

|ATP FLEXNETWORK V3|ACSA

John,

Many thanks for the clarification!

Regards,

Julián

Hi John,

One more question about this:

1 - Do you mean I should enable STP on the access switches?

2 - What do you mean exactly? I disabled all the port members of the trunk, made the trunk configurations (LACP static), connected the ports and then enabled the ports. Is STP needed here?

Regards,

Julián

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: