Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VxLAN in the Campus

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  VxLAN in the Campus

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2016 06:58 PM

Hi all

We have seen VxLAN being deployed in the datacenter during the last few years, and now VxLAN seems to start becoming attractive for the campus as well and we, at HPE neworking would like to hear from our partners and customers about the role you see VxLAN playing in this area. We would appretiate if you would share the kind of scenarios and applications in which you would consider using VxLAN.

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Ruben Iglesias.-

Global TME

Hewlett Packard Enterprise / Networking

• 2.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

Posted Jan 18, 2016 06:07 PM

I'd love to see deployements where I was able to safely ditch spanning tree altogether.  We're currently pulling spanning tree out of our core by running MPLS-EVPN on our core routers, but it would be great to get rid of it end to end.

• 3.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2016 06:14 PM

Hi fsweetser:

Have you considered our switch aggregation / clustering technologies: IRF and VSF?

With IRF/VSF you can eliminate the need for STP/MSTP to manage redundant links between the different LAN layers: core, aggregation (distribution), and access.

IRF/VSF makes two modular switches to appear as one at every OSI layer from 2 to 7. For example:

• in Layer 2, as all ports look and behave as it they were on the same chassis, you  can use link aggregation instead of STP
      • you gain simplicity and a faster recovery time in the case of link failure
    • in layer 3, all IP interfaces are shared between both chassis, so VRRP is not required and if OSPF is used, only one OSPF process controls all routes on both physical chassis - in fact there is a single control plane and a single routing table
    • in layers above 3: single SNMP agent, Telnet and FTP server, etc are shared by the whole system, in other words, there is a single management plane

The following diagram shows the physical and logical views of a network that has IRF/VSF both at the core and aggregation layers.

VSF-IRF.jpg

VSF will become available on the Aruba 5400R switch series at the beginning of February, 2016 and later this year on our new Aruba 3810 Switch Series (these switches offer a backplane stacking option today).

IRF has been available on many HPE data center and campus modular switch series (example: HPE 10500 and 7500 Switch Series) for at least 4 years and on stackables (example: HPE 5500 EI Switch Series) for at least 8 years.

If you are interested and need more information, feel free to continue this conversation.

Best regards,

Ruben Iglesias

Global Technical Marketing Engineer / Networking

Hewlett Packard Enterprise

• 4.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

Posted Jan 23, 2016 03:06 PM

Thanks!  We already have a meeting scheduled in a couple of weeks with our reps, so I'll be sure to ask them for more details.

• 5.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

Posted Feb 26, 2016 02:30 PM

Hi Ruben,

I'm trying to find more details about VSF and 3810 but without any luck. 

Do you need stacking modules for 3810 to support vsf? If not, then what is it used for if switches are configured in VSF?

Any more details about when 3810 will support VSF and which software version will support it?

I've been working with IRF in datacenters for few years and quite like it (excluding ISSU :-))  so can you say that IRF and VSF are the same thing?

BR 

Olli

• 6.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2016 12:42 PM

Hi Olli

As you correctly point out, VSF (Virtual Switching Framework) is the equivalent of IRF for the Aruba switches.

Today it is supported only on the 5400R Switch Series with v3 modules only. Additionally, in the current phase 1:

• 5406R + 5406R - supported
    • 5412R + 5412R - supported
    • 5406R + 5412R - not supported

See the product's manual for details HPE ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide K/KA/KB.16.01.

In terms of stacking on the 3810 Switch Series

1. Backplane stacking (available today) is a hardware-based solution that offers a full mesh stack topology of up to 5 members and a ring stack topology of up to 10 members. It provides high redundancy and the best possible performance. This technology is based on specific 4-port stacking modules and cables. Each switch requires 1 module that offers 4 ports.

This technology is highly recommended because of its bandwidth, deployment simplicity and reliability.

2. Frontplane stacking / VSF will be supported on the 3810 switch series not earlier than Q1 calendar year 2017. VSF member interconnection will be based on standard 10GbE or 40GbE ports. More details will become available as we get closer to the release dates.

Regards, Ruben.-

• 7.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

Posted Nov 10, 2016 07:52 AM

Hi Ruben,

Is it confirm VSF for Aruba 3810 will be release on Q1 2017. 

Better to standardize between comware version. All the SFP+ port can be stacking with either using DAC cable or stacking module. 

i dont know why 2930F that lower spec than 3810 support VSF but 3810 didnt support VSF rite now

thanks 

• 8.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

Posted Nov 14, 2016 01:59 PM

Hi,

Which Aruba switches supports VXLAN? The new 5400R with V3 modules does but what about the 3810 or the new 5510.

Regards Kamil

• 9.  RE: VxLAN in the Campus

Posted Dec 20, 2017 01:18 PM

Hi all,

I'm really interested in the VXLAN subject, but I can't find the use of it in the campus unless we get the orchestrator/automatization solution needed to make the overlay interesting (follow my eyes --> SD-LAN).

Looking deeper into the field of possibilities, I have some thought about using VxLAN in a MAN environnement. Have you already heard about deployment using VxLAN over a fully routed backbone ? (~50 to 100 sites over a private opticalfiber backbone)

If yes, what method do customer use to deploy L2 services ? (orchestrator (does Aruba provides one ?), automatisation (Ansible, Puppet/Chef...), "by hand" --> hard to believe ?)