Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

device-group and tunneled-node mutually exclusive?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  device-group and tunneled-node mutually exclusive?

Posted Apr 19, 2016 06:34 AM

Hi!

I´m setting up Aruba switches at a customer site with the goal to have a unified port configuration and depending on what gets connected they will be assigned the correct role and VLAN. I´m using S1500 switches with the latest 7.4.1.4 firmware.

I chose to use tunneled-node configuration to be able to perform Authentication and VLAN placement depending on roles at the Aruba controller (I don´t have control over the VLANs where the switch is connected and only have an internal access port as uplink) The tunneled node part with autentication is working fine so far and the clients get connected as if they are on the controller.

BUT! I want the Aruba APs that are connected to inherit their port configuration based on "device-group ap" and be placed on the same VLAN as the uplink interface. This doesn´t seem to work when I have the ports configured as tunneled nodes. When I remove the port the AP goes to from the tunneled node configuration the device-group inheritance works. Is there a way to make device-group work on ports configured for tunneled node? I would like all the ports of the switch to have the same configuration so they don´t have to think about what port they connect things, including APs.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2.  RE: device-group and tunneled-node mutually exclusive?

Posted Apr 21, 2016 04:24 AM

Where´s

• 3.  RE: device-group and tunneled-node mutually exclusive?

Posted Feb 07, 2017 12:18 PM

I am having this same scenario. Did you ever find a solution?

• 4.  RE: device-group and tunneled-node mutually exclusive?

Posted Feb 08, 2017 03:36 AM

Hi!

Unfortunately Aruba had no way of pulling the port out of tunneled node when an AP was connected. I said it would be a nice feature and the engineer agreed and said he´d put forward the proposal. Not sure if anything has happened though =) 

Which switch and firmware are you on?

Cheers,

• 5.  RE: device-group and tunneled-node mutually exclusive?

Posted Feb 08, 2017 09:53 AM

I have an immediate need to acomplish this, or something similar, with various MAS switches running 7.4.1.7. 

I am working on migrating to HPE/Aruba switches that are running the 16.03 code. 

• 6.  RE: device-group and tunneled-node mutually exclusive?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 08, 2017 08:20 PM

Hi Christoffer, 

I believe it was me who you talked to.  We did pass along the info to Product Management.  I will see if we can get any futher idea of a timeline for implementing it.

Thanks, 

Justin

JUSTIN NOONAN
    TECHNICAL MARKETING ENGINEER – ARUBA CAMPUS TECHNOLOGIES
    O: +1 916 540 1748   |   justin.noonan@hpe.com

8000 FOOTHILLS BLVD  |  ROSEVILLE, CA 95747 USA