Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

show spanning-tree with rapid-pvst - no output

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  show spanning-tree with rapid-pvst - no output

Posted Feb 21, 2017 01:46 PM

I recently discovered my controllers thought they were the root bridge, and it appeared to be due to them using rapid-stp.  I changed this over and afterward found that I receive no output from issuing show spanning-tree.  Another thread indicated a similar problem and a suggestion to try show spantree was given.  This too seems to give no output.

I would like to enable spanning-tree on the controllers so that they can participate in the layer 2 broadcast domain like all other switches we run.  The goal is to use one 10g port and one 1g port, so that if the 10g  fails it will have a 1g alternate state blocking port to use immediately rather than failover completely to the secondary in our HA pair.

Is there any way to verify the local spanning-tree configuration once you have migrated to rapid-pvst?

(aruba-01) #show running-config | include spann
    Building Configuration...
    spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

(aruba-01) #show spanning-tree

(aruba-01) #show spantree
    (aruba-01) #

• 2.  RE: show spanning-tree with rapid-pvst - no output
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2017 07:39 PM

Honestly, the recommendation is to turn of spanning tree on the controller and allow your layer 2/3 switch to manage the links using whatever version of spanning tree it is running.  Quite frankly, spanning tree is not a very controlled method of redundancy.  Typically you would want to do link aggregation on two links of the same size to the same switch.  You would enjoy twice the bandwidth, instead of having to manually set things like the root bridge.

• 3.  RE: show spanning-tree with rapid-pvst - no output

Posted Feb 22, 2017 11:13 AM

It seems a lot of other users do the same thing.  I'll definitely consider this going forward, but in regards to the lack of output -- is that a known bug?

• 4.  RE: show spanning-tree with rapid-pvst - no output

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2017 12:20 PM

There should be some output if spanning tree is running.  Feel free to open a TAC case.