Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

0.0.0.0 IP For clients bridged WLAN

FortigateAcademic Wifi.pngHi i am trying to figure out how to get my bridged vlan to pass client info to the controller if its even possible. They pull an IP fine and have internet access so its not that they arent getting one. In the end i will have it tunneled and set up correctly but this is how i need to keep it for the migration process. This is at a school the admin and academic used to be on an instant setup but have since been moved to a controller. Now the bridged academic network will not show the ip of the client. I have attached a picture of the setup. I am not sure what i am missing. I have created rules on the fortigates to allow traffic between the networks allowing the academic 192.x.x.x to talk to both the controller and the aps subnet but it didnt help. Any ideas?

Guru Elite

Re: 0.0.0.0 IP For clients bridged WLAN

With a bridged WLAN, the switchport that the AP is connected to needs to have a tagged VLAN (trunk port with that VLAN allowed) matching the Virtual AP Vlan you have your client assigned to.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

It does The switch ports are trunk with the native being APs Vlan 1000 and the Academic Vlan 2 as a member.

Guru Elite

Is the Virtual AP VLAN 2?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Like this?FortigateAcademic Wifi2.png

Guru Elite

Yes.

Last thing:

What is the default gateway for VLAN  2?  Do your switches have that VLAN trunked all the way through to the router for VLAN 2 and does the router have a helper address on that interface pointing to the DHCP server?

Bridged VLANs are not tunneled back to the controller and require your switched infrastructure to provide connectivity.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

The fortigate shown in the picture is both the router and dhcp for the academic network. I forgot to add where the controller was so i attached a new picture.FortigateAcademic Wifi.png

Guru Elite

Can you plug into an access port on the juniper that is on VLAN 2 and get an ip address?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Yes the clients connectivity is not the issue everything is working fine. Its just that they dont show the ip in the controller.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: