Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted May 15, 2014 11:04 AM

Dear Concerned

I connect IAP 104 to Cisco POE switch. Switch is not connected to any part of network and switch is in VLAN 1 by default. 

I configure the IP of IAP to 192.168.68.4 and same IAP is configured as a virtual controller having IP 192.168.68.19. In VC configuration i assigne the VLAN number 1, subnet mask and DG 192.168.68.253. I connected my laptop to the switch and assign the IP to my laptop of same subnet i.e 192.168.68.41     255.255.255.0.    I ping the IAP "IP" 192.168.68.4 from my laptop which being successsfulll.   When i ping the VC "IP" 192.168.68.19 from my laptop , ping is not successfull.

All IP's are statically assinged.

Please assist

• 2.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2014 11:46 AM

From the User Guide.

Ensure that Virtual Controller VLAN is not the same as native VLAN of the IAP.

You would only enter those parameters if you want the VC ip to be in a different subnet to the IAP themselves.

If they all on same subnet you only need to enter here.

VC-ip.jpg

• 3.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted May 15, 2014 12:44 PM

Do i have to create a separate SSID with different VLAN ID ?

or what i have to do ?             Confused.

I f i assigned the IAP IP 192.168.68.4 in VLAN 1 and IAP VC IP 192.168.70.19 from VLAN 2. Is this VLAN 2 exists  via some SSID  and VLAN 2 subnet is allowed on DHCP server ?

Please tell me in detail

• 4.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!
    Best Answer

Posted May 15, 2014 02:22 PM

• 5.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted May 16, 2014 01:15 PM

The VC will push the update to the other IAP. Like kdisc98 mentioned an update is necessary as you have an older version.

• 6.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted Feb 04, 2017 11:24 AM

Hi.

sorry to dig that I am but I do have a similiar question and some of the above posts are confusing to me.

I quote:

"From the user guide:

Ensure that Virtual Controller VLAN is not the same as native VLAN of the IAP.

You would only enter those parameters if you want the VC ip to be in a different subnet to the IAP themselves."

I always have my VC along with my IAPs and switches in the same management VLAN and in the same subnet. This VLAN is a default/native/PVID VLAN configured on every port that has IAP connected to it. Thought that this is a correct approach. The outcome is that being associated with a wireless network deployed on the cluster, I can ping my VC in the management VLAN, but I can't access it using HTTPS. Is that proper behavior? I would highly appreciate if someone clarifies that.

• 7.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2017 11:59 AM

You should be able to ping and SSH into it even if you are associated to the IAP.

• 8.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted Feb 04, 2017 12:59 PM

Thanks for the info!

I will verify that on Monday.

Basing on your post one can assume that HTTPS access to VC is not possible by default. Is that correct?

If yes, how can I enable it? I think that for some IAP205 based clusters I have deployed over a year ago, it was possible if I only interVLAN routing was configured. Did something change with new firmware?

• 9.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 04, 2017 03:27 PM

https access is possible to the VC unless you block it in some way, period.

• 10.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted Feb 04, 2017 06:44 PM

Thanks, appreciated.

• 11.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted Feb 06, 2017 04:08 AM

Dear cjoseph,

I have verified my access policies to the management VLAN. They all look ok. While being connected to Aruba IAP-305 I can not access VC through HTTPS.  At the same time I can access my HPE 1950 stack using HTTPS which is in the same subnet and VLAN as VC and IAPs. It seems like something with the VC configuration is wrong and that it prevents any administrative access. 

I can ping it, but no SSH,HTTPS or telnet connectivity.

• 12.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted Feb 06, 2017 02:58 PM

I think there is a bug.

After adding more than one SSID, creating two zones and assigning SSIDs to them, now I can access VC being connected to a WLAN on IAP cluster. It was not possible before.

• 13.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2017 04:38 PM

• 14.  RE: 104 IAP "Virtual Controller IP" is not Pingable . HELP !!!!

Posted Feb 07, 2017 02:15 AM

I am on 6.5.x.x.

My cluster is formed from ten IAP-305 APs.

I did not know that this problem will grow so much. Maybe I should have started my own thread.

Will check later the exact version as I am at another location.

I have noticed another unexpected behavior. When I only  powered up a single AP from that cluster, the issue reoccured.