Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

Posted Jan 17, 2017 07:45 AM

We have a customer who has seem some odd behaviour recently with a number (but not all) of his AP-224s seemingly turning off their 2.4 radios. Unfortunately we only have the information he supplied, but we could see that no clients were connecting on 2.4 (there were some on 5). After we rebooted the APs clients were once again connecting by 2.4 & 5.

So in the absence of any real solid evidence about this particular situation which appears to be (at least temporarily) resolved, my question is: under what circumstances might an AP not let clients onto 2.4? (PS the g-radio is enabled in the profile).

• 2.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2017 07:47 AM

Bug?

• 3.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2017 08:57 AM

Is mode-aware ARM enabled?

• 4.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

Posted Jan 17, 2017 01:49 PM

No, mode-aware is disabled.

• 5.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

Posted Jan 20, 2017 08:33 AM

@cauliflower were you able to gather any more info from the client?

• 6.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

Posted Jan 20, 2017 09:29 AM

Hello Jamie,

We sent tech logs to Aruba TAC and they spotted that the g-radio is resetting hundreds/thousands of times which may be why the AP stops broadcasting on that radio. So far we have only seen this behaviour in one customer location, and so far only APs with antennae, but that's all circumstantial at the moment, it could be that other APs are affected elsewhere. ArubaTAC are investigating further.

• 7.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

Posted Jan 27, 2017 10:40 AM

Cool, please let us know the outcome.

• 8.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

Posted Feb 08, 2017 11:16 PM

Hi cauliflower,

We are in the same boat as well. I came across it by chance while troubleshooting an AP-205H. In fact, I immediately recognized you from your other post inquiring about "TFTP Server" as our Aruba TAC reported another individual attempting to upload a custom build on a couple APs via TFTP. Out of our 3500 AP environment, we have about 100-150 APs experiencing this issue (AP-225, AP-224, and AP-205s) - I was able to see our affected APs via syslog server. My co-worker has another active discussion going on - http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Problem-with-radio-resets-quot-BIG-Hammer-quot/m-p/287067#M67460

• 9.  RE: 2.4ghz radio turned off AP-224s

Posted Feb 10, 2017 10:15 AM

Thanks for this, always good to hear that we're not the only ones! TAC think they have identified the issue, they think during a channel change the AP is getting stuck in a radio reset loop. 

They have advised that in the meantime ARM can be set to maintain, with scanning disabled, while the fix is being readied for release. This should help in the interim.