Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

2 RAP-5 with only one 3G backup connection

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  2 RAP-5 with only one 3G backup connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 16, 2012 03:57 AM

Hey guys

We have a customer who's thinking of deploying remote access infrastructure and has the following question:

Is it possible to have 2 RAPs using the same 3G backup connection?

I've thought of using a combination of RAP5+AP93 but I'm not sure if I'd have the same features or if I'd be putting too much overhead. For instance, will I still have split tunnelling(for AP93 connected users)? I've thought of using local bridging for AP93 but it would be a bit weird, and I'm not too confident about how it would work.

Thanks a lot

P.S.I know that the best option would be to use a 620 controller and AP93 connected to it, but our customer is on a tight budget and that may be too expensive.

• 2.  RE: 2 RAP-5 with only one 3G backup connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 16, 2012 05:42 PM

Take a look at page 266 of the ArubaOS 6.1 User Guide. Read the section called "Remote Mesh Portals."

That's probably the best route for you to go. However, keep in mind that all those users/mesh points on a single 3G connection could produce very poor internet speeds. There may be some other tweaks necessary. I would test the 3G failover. I recommend you also read the section on page 131 called "Optimize APs Over Low-Speed Links."

Also note: "A remote mesh portal does not support bridge mode Virtual APs or offline Virtual APs."

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: 2 RAP-5 with only one 3G backup connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2012 02:40 AM

Thanks zjennings

I've been going through the User Guide and I think it may suit us. Nevertheless, I have 2 concerns about this:

1. From what I've seen, the second AP would use the air, and not a wired connection, as an uplink. Am i right?
    2. RAP5-WN is not dual band. Will it still be able to work as Mesh Portal? 

In regards to the 3G connectivity, we're fully aware of it's limitations but we're talking about a backup connection, so I think it should be OK. In any case, thanks a lot for the recommendations.

Again, thanks a lot for the help.

• 4.  RE: 2 RAP-5 with only one 3G backup connection
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2012 07:54 AM

@samuel.perez wrote:

Thanks zjennings

I've been going through the User Guide and I think it may suit us. Nevertheless, I have 2 concerns about this:

1. From what I've seen, the second AP would use the air, and not a wired connection, as an uplink. Am i right?
    2. RAP5-WN is not dual band. Will it still be able to work as Mesh Portal? 

In regards to the 3G connectivity, we're fully aware of it's limitations but we're talking about a backup connection, so I think it should be OK. In any case, thanks a lot for the recommendations.

Again, thanks a lot for the help.

1. Correct, not wired. Wired APs terminating through a RAP is currently not supported.

2. Yes. Here is what I would do, if possible: a RAP-5WN set to 5Ghz as the RMP and two mesh point AP-105 as the actual client access. You *could* run it all on 2.4Ghz (RAP and AP-93), however this is not preferred as the 2.4Ghz will have to share air-time between clients and mesh.

So it all comes down to cost of the ideal recommended scenario versus a cheaper less ideal method.

• 5.  RE: 2 RAP-5 with only one 3G backup connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2012 01:17 PM

Thanks a lot for the help.

BTW, do you know if there is a roadmap for wired APs terminating through a RAP. It's a weird scenario, I know, but it doesn't seem too complicated to me, does it?

Regars

samuel