Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

2 SSID's but only one will accept legacy clients

Hello all,

I have 2 SSID's that serve the same purpose and I would like to disable one of them.  SSID "X" was created a while back and SSID "Y" was done with our clearpass integration.  SInce then I have upgraded most of our AP's to 315's and our controllers to 7210's.  One issue I am seeing is that older devices primarily Mac laptops and IOS devices will not connect to ssid "Y".  They usually are macs running older OS X softare like 10.5 or 10.6...perhaps 10.7.  If the hardware will support an OS X upgrade to the latest or one version older it works fine.  I had an iPad 1 in my office one day and I could not get it working on the "Y" ssid.  I am not sure where to start but here are my SSID configs of what is different on them.  I am aware there are a lot of settings and these might not even be what is needed so please let me know if you need more information.

SSID "Y" - New SSIDSSID "X" - Old SSID
802.11g Basic Rates                               12 18802.11g Basic Rates                               1 2
802.11g Transmit Rates                            12 18 24 36 48 54802.11g Transmit Rates                            1 2 5 6 9 11 12 18 24 36 48 54
DSCP mapping for WMM voice AC (0-63)              N/ADSCP mapping for WMM voice AC (0-63)              56
DSCP mapping for WMM video AC (0-63)              N/ADSCP mapping for WMM video AC (0-63)              40
DSCP mapping for WMM best-effort AC (0-63)        N/ADSCP mapping for WMM best-effort AC (0-63)        24
DSCP mapping for WMM background AC (0-63)         N/ADSCP mapping for WMM background AC (0-63)         8
BC/MC Rate Optimization                           DisabledBC/MC Rate Optimization                           Enabled
802.11g Beacon Rate                               12802.11g Beacon Rate                               default
802.11r Profile                                   802.11r Advert802.11r Profile                                   N/A

Guru Elite

Re: 2 SSID's but only one will accept legacy clients

One by one, change things to match the X SSID and see what fixes your issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: