Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 12:13 PM

Good day - 

We have a 3600-US controller that reports 24 of 58 APs down.  I can ping the reported down aps from the controller and from the directly connected switches.  How can I up the down APs?  Thank you very much for any assistance.

Take care- 

Dennis Maron 

Network Engineer

• 2.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2013 12:54 PM

Hi dmaron427

Sorry you are having troubles. I have a few questions

What is the licensing on your 3600? show license 

Are you able to console into one of the down APs?

Are you able to see the lights physically on one of the down aps? Are the radio lights on?

What is the latency between the controller and the down ap locations? 

Thanks 

• 3.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 01:04 PM

hey thanks for your response, I can ping the AP's from botht he controller and the directly connected switches.  Unfortunately I cannot console in to them or see the lights on them because they are up in the plenum, and customer does not have network documentation / maps of their locations.  I unfortunately do not have the enable password on the 3600, I will attempt to get that to answer your questions.  Thanks again for you help.  take care-  Dennis Maron 

• 4.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 02:49 PM

Were these APs up at one point ? or these are new APs ?

• 5.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 02:52 PM

Hey thanks for your response, they were up at one point.  The controller says the oldest one went down 29 days ago, while the most recent went down 5 days ago.   

• 6.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 02:55 PM

Are you getting this report from AMP or directly from the controller ?

• 7.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 03:00 PM

directly from the controller - any way I can get these to respond from the controller, or is it a hands on power cycle that'll need to happen?  reason being, this install took place over three years ago when the building was under construction, wall were erected and the site maps either were never made of got lost.  ( client doesn't have any documentation / visio diagrams.  There are no stickers on teh ceiling tiles that depict the location of access points.  I wonder if the Airmagnet tool can find them?  Thanks for everyons help!

• 8.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 03:19 PM

Can you please run the show ap datapase and see those show up on the list ?

Also run the show log system all  and show log errorlog all .

Have you guys made any changes recently ?

As Sean suggested you should console into the AP that will give you an idea why the AP may be failing at reaching the controller

• 9.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 02, 2013 03:31 PM

You can use Airmagnet to located those and now under the SSID profile you can select advertise name and in Airmagnet you can see the AP actual name instead of the mac address/bssid :

All Profile Management_2013-10-02_15-29-23.png

But of course that is if the AP is actually up on the controller.

Have you tried shutting down the port to one of the APs ?

Should consider opening an Aruba TAC case too

• 10.  RE: 3600 controller%2C 24 of 58 aps down. Can ping from 3600 and switches. How can I up the down APs%3F

Posted Oct 03, 2013 09:41 AM

hey guys - 

Thanks so much for your replies.  I'm kind of hamstrung right now as I can't console into any of the downed AP's...( I can't find them ) 

As stupid as that sounds we need to get a team over to the site and pop tiles and hunt for them.  There was no network documentation left behind or any visio diagrams depicting location of these AP's.  There are no marking on the ceiling tiles that would indicate their existence.  I will obtain the enable password and run the suggested show commands, as well as bounce the associated switch ports.  I can ping all on the APs that are showing "DOWN"  onn the controller.  I was hoping there was perhaps a quick and dirty way I could reset these from the controller, even though they are in a DOWN state.  Thanks again for your responses and ideas / insight.

Dennis