Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

Posted Dec 20, 2012 08:11 PM

Okay i got this client which would like the 620 option more cause of the captive portal.... but they need to sustein the controller for other reasons not just for that...

A few ideas i got for it, are:

1-With controller you can do remote APS and VIA clients(Not sure if the client need this part i was not presaling this at that time and the guy presaling it didnt mention it.)

2-Captive portal its a way bettter

3-Controller simplifies vlan at edge i do not need to tag the vlans everywhere...

4-instant just can go up to 1024 concurrent users buti dont think they care that... as they are less than 100 users

5-More advanced firewall rules?

6-More advanced IPS IDS Features?

7-More advanced ARM? is the arm with the controller better thant he arm of the instants?? or they are the same?

Any other thing i can say to help the Administrator to go for the controller over the instant aps? which of course is a way cheaper....

• 2.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2012 06:02 AM

POE

• 3.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

Posted Dec 21, 2012 08:14 AM

Yeah but its poe on 100 not on 1000   :(

It it was a 650 but its a 620

Anything else?

• 4.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2012 09:38 AM
      |   view attached

@NightShade1 wrote:

Yeah but its poe on 100 not on 1000   :(

It it was a 650 but its a 620

Anything else?

Carlos,

The differences between Instant and Controller-Based Deployments decrease all of the time.  A new version of Instant was released yesterday.  Release notes are attached.

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

Posted Dec 21, 2012 09:48 AM

Yea i looking that, thtas why i opened this tread because instant almost is doing everything that the controller does, i mean notthe super advanced twikable settigns...

But i guess that the performance is better on the controller based than the with the instant as with the instant they need to create a virtual controller so i guess that they need more ram cpu and all that for that... vs thecontrller that dont need that....

also it has the limitation of 1024 concururrent users... but of less users it seems that the instant can do the job and its hard to put a controller based instead an instant cause of the price...

And nice it has vlan poolin! :)

But like  i asked before do you know if ARM of controller is better than the ARM or the Instant APs?

• 6.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2012 09:59 AM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Yea i looking that, thtas why i opened this tread because instant almost is doing everything that the controller does, i mean notthe super advanced twikable settigns...

But i guess that the performance is better on the controller based than the with the instant as with the instant they need to create a virtual controller so i guess that they need more ram cpu and all that for that... vs thecontrller that dont need that....

also it has the limitation of 1024 concururrent users... but of less users it seems that the instant can do the job and its hard to put a controller based instead an instant cause of the price...

And nice it has vlan poolin! :)

But like  i asked before do you know if ARM of controller is better than the ARM or the Instant APs?

The ARM algorithm is the same.

The great thing about instant is that if the user decides they need controller-based features, they can just obtain a controller  to obtain those features.  You as the engineer would know the user's business and determine if they are better suited to having a 620.

• 7.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

Posted Dec 21, 2012 10:07 AM

Yeah i know but this user wants the captive portal feature....

He just wanted to have other things so he can put the controller based instead of the instatn but he need to tell the manager other things that he will gain that they can use besides that so the controller based get aproved, and well just want to help him. heheh

• 8.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

Posted Dec 21, 2012 09:53 AM

Thanks Colin, didn't realize it was out.  My Instant setup says there are no updates available (I am on

6.1.3.4-3.1.0.1_35899) so I didn't think it had been released.  I am going to manually load it today.

• 9.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 22, 2012 08:22 PM

@clembo wrote:

Thanks Colin, didn't realize it was out.  My Instant setup says there are no updates available (I am on

6.1.3.4-3.1.0.1_35899) so I didn't think it had been released.  I am going to manually load it today.

Instant releases are given time to "soak" befor they are available on the cloud server.  Users who have support accounts can download them early, but manually.

• 10.  RE: 5 Instant AP vs 620 Controller with 5 APS

Posted Dec 21, 2012 09:26 AM

how about customizing of supported data rates?   last i had looked it was still not in Instant; but was on the roadmap.