Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  6.2.1.0

Posted Apr 10, 2013 01:07 PM

I had a client upgrade his controller to 6.2.1.0 (from 6.1.3.4). They stated they experienced a large signal strength drop after upgrade. Those that never had wireless trouble in the past went from having 3-4 bars were now at 1-2 bars and were loosing pings to the network. They then reverted back to the 6.1.3.4 software and signal strength went back to normal levels.

I did not experience this problem myself and am only relaying on what the customer told me. That being said has anyone else noticed this type of problem in the 6.2. upgrade?

• 2.  RE: 6.2.1.0

Posted Apr 10, 2013 01:08 PM

3800 controller

• 3.  RE: 6.2.1.0

Posted Apr 10, 2013 01:38 PM

We had the same experience and after a fair amount of fiddling with it, fell back to 6.1.3.4 (our prior known-good version) while we await a fix. The last I heard was that there is a fix going in to 6.1.3.8 which may relate to our problem (it sounded imminent but hasn't come out yet)

I presume that the same fix will enter the 6.2.x.x chain as well.

• 4.  RE: 6.2.1.0

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2013 05:45 PM

Msabin, Would you care to mention the details of the fix to help the community?

• 5.  RE: 6.2.1.0

Posted Apr 11, 2013 07:35 PM

I'm still waiting for the fixed code.

Quoting my TAC engineer:

6.1.3.8  has a fix for a Low RSSI threshold issue ... Our best bet would be to upgrade to 6.1.3.8 once it available and take things from there.

• 6.  RE: 6.2.1.0

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2013 08:04 PM

I don't even know what that means.

• 7.  RE: 6.2.1.0

Posted Apr 12, 2013 04:19 PM

After much arguing over what was a problem with our client configs and what was a problem with our controller configs and what was due specifically to the code upgrade, we agreed that the primary evidence of the problem we were seeing was that clients appeared to the controller at somewhat lower RSSI than the client thought. Thus the client would keep talking and the controller would de-auth.

Apparently there's an identified issue where the controller mis-perceives the RSSI as low and there's a possibility that that issue is getting addressed.

Just got word from support that 6.1.3.8 may be out by 4/19.

• 8.  RE: 6.2.1.0

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 12, 2013 04:39 PM

If you have a bug number or a case number we can track it down and see what is being done about it.

• 9.  RE: 6.2.1.0

Posted Apr 12, 2013 05:53 PM

My case number is 1380609 -- I let them close it while I wait for 6.1.3.8 and then a chance to upgrade and test.

• 10.  RE: 6.2.1.0

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2013 09:48 AM

@msabin wrote:

After much arguing over what was a problem with our client configs and what was a problem with our controller configs and what was due specifically to the code upgrade, we agreed that the primary evidence of the problem we were seeing was that clients appeared to the controller at somewhat lower RSSI than the client thought. Thus the client would keep talking and the controller would de-auth.

Apparently there's an identified issue where the controller mis-perceives the RSSI as low and there's a possibility that that issue is getting addressed.

Just got word from support that 6.1.3.8 may be out by 4/19.

In the case, I do not see anywhere that support replicated your specific issue.  Replication of the issue is the first step.  Unless support could replicate your issue in-house, there would be no bug filed, no issue identified, and coincidentally, no fix.

I would not upgrade to 6.1.3.8 expecting a fix unless support has confirmed that they replicated it in-house first.

Quite frankly, there could be something specific to your environment that is causing the issue.  That would have to be identified, first.

• 11.  RE: 6.2.1.0

Posted Apr 13, 2013 10:01 AM
    On which APs have you seen this type of behavior?