Wireless Access

New Contributor

6000 with two m3 controller advice

Hello, I am new to airheads and have a question.

Background:

I am working on a project at a college sports venue.  The network was installed a year ago by a different vendor but the college and network management company has asked for help - they have not taken the network live at a major event yet.  Saturday the university is going to turn up the network during a game for the first time.

There are 244 total Aps (approx 50 AP105 and 190 AP175s)

They have two D607 ANT on each AP175

Original setup 

1-6000

1- M3 blade with 600 licenses

Current

1- 6000

2- M3 with 300 licenses on each blade

The 6000 is had just one M3 blade but while working with them I found another M3 blade literally laying in the dirt underneath some bleachers at the stadium.  

I have installed the additional M3 and transfered half the licenses to it.

The client isnt interested in purchasing an addtional controller to run a master and two local controllers (this may change but for now this is the status quo.)

Goal:

The client wants to use the extra user capacity on the additional M3.

Question: 

What is the best deployment model in my current situation that would best allow the user capacity on both m3 controllers?

Master/Local - All APs on local?

Master/Local - Share APs between - I know this isnt advisable but in my situation it could be the best option. (if it is an option I haven't tried this or tested it)

Master/Master (active/passive) - have ruled out this option for now

Thanks, 

Phil Taul

phil@taul.me

Guru Elite

Re: 6000 with two m3 controller advice

If the client already ha 300 licenses on each blade, why not master/backup master active/passive for redundancy?

Master/backup master with all the APs pointing to the VRRP provide pretty good failover if there is an issue.  That way your first hardware outage is not your worse outage...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Would the Master/Master deployment model function with user capacity of both blades?  My understanding is that it will not and if true that is why they do not want to set them up in that manner.

Guru Elite

It does not.

You need to set it up master/local to leverage it as active/active.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: