Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 03:50 PM

I've got a network of 4 620 local controllers and a 3200 master controller. They are all running 6.1.3.0 right now. I need to add the ability to do Airgroup or at the very least allow wireless clients to auto-discover a device across networks using mDNS. It looks like my only options would be 6.1.3.6-AirGroup. Based on the Release Notes for the newer code, the 620 doesn't support airgroup because of the memory limitations. 

Can anyone confirm that? I would much rather upgrade to a newer & more stable code that supports airgroup, but it doesn't sound like there are any options.

Secondly, if I can't use Airgroup, is there a manual way to configure clients to access a single host via mDNS across networks?

• 2.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 04:00 PM

Correct, AirGroup is not supported on the 600 series on 6.3 code.   Without AirGroup (or some other mDNS proxy) you will not see the devices on the other subnets.

• 3.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 04:12 PM

Thanks, Clembo. It doesn't look like 6.2 supports it either so that pretty much only leaves 6.1.3.6-Airgroup. 

If that is true, are you aware of any "manual" method for forwarding mDNS to a specific IP address?

• 4.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2014 04:24 PM

Clayman,

What kind of device is it?

• 5.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 04:29 PM

The client devices are a mix of iPhones & iPads, but the static device is a Savant host. It runs on a Mac-mini. The app, running on the clients, uses mDNS (Bonjour) to auto-discover the Savant host.

• 6.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 04:41 PM

How many Savant hosts?  Any chance you can put them on the same network as the iPhones and iPads?

• 7.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 05:02 PM

Good thought, but the problem is, we've got a "private" SSID & a "guest" SSID. Clients on either network need to be able to access the Savant host.

• 8.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 05:16 PM

Understood.   In that scenario, even with AirGroup, you need to make sure your guest traffic is not NAT'd if you want to use any AirPlay features.   It will not work over NAT, regardless of AirGroup (limitation of service).

• 9.  RE: 620 Controllers, Airgroup & mDNS

Posted May 28, 2014 05:23 PM

No NAT. Just two different networks that are routed at the controller. The controller is directly connected to the internet & is the only L3 device.