Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

7205 controller best practice and redundancy

Hi all,

could you clarify me some doubt with wifi implementation.
We have two 7205 controllers.

As I understood we need to set one of them to master, and another one as a local controller.

Local controller will terminate all AP, and master will heat the air.

1) Using two local controllers in this situation is not better solution than master/locl cluster?

2) If my local controller will failed - can AP register to master, or they failed too till local controller replacing?

3) licensing - should we put licenses to master controller (central licensing), or they should be placed to local one?

4) About AP VLANs - Aruba doc said, that "edge VLAN should not be dedicated to APs except in environments where 802.1x is a requirement". Does it mean that these APs recommended to place in to existed wired user VLANs? I'm planning to use dedicated VLAN for controller, and all APs.

Many thanks.

Guru Elite

Re: 7205 controller best practice and redundancy

- Your two 7205s can be configured as Master/Backup Master (Active/Passive), Master/local (Active/Active).

- Both of these designs supports the secondary controller backing up the primary controller upon failure.

- You can put licenses on either controller.  Centralized Licensing will pool them together.

- You can put access points in any VLAN that you want, as long as they can contact the controller.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Hi Colin, thanks for fast response.

If I decide to run Active/Active solution I don't need to split my license pool?

I can use full pool on master only?

Do I need to split APs to different nets to support A/A mode?

Because if I use same net for all APs DHCP server unable to send different option to different APs.

Or I need to register APs once, and after that create two group with different  controller order?

Guru Elite

In active/active and active/passive centralized licensing allows the access points to be shared between both controllers.  You do not need the APs to be on a different subnet.  You would need two groups to have access points on different controllers.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: