Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

802.11ac adapters

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  802.11ac adapters

Posted Jul 02, 2014 06:05 PM

Not really a specific Aruba question, but what type of adapters are you guys seeing out there?

I'd like to start testing 802.11ac, but having some difficulty in finding adapters.

I see the Intel 7260, and that might be my only internal option.  

What are you guys seeing in the wild?

• 2.  RE: 802.11ac adapters

Posted Jul 02, 2014 06:19 PM

Laptop adapters can be touchy since the manufacturers use a whitelist and block out other adapters being installed in the laptops. BIOS/EFI lockdown. They do this to overcharge on "certified" adapters or they want you to buy a better one in a mroe expensive laptop to begin with.

The Intel ones seem to be the easiest to get working in most laptops.

As for me my 802.11ac adapters are all external:

1) An Amped Wirelsss ACA1: I'ts been pretty good. Very high power and got great throughput with the AP225 (Link to my report)

2) A Netgear A6200: It's been decent, however does have some issues with sleep/hibernation mode and I have to reseat the adapter in the port to get it to connect again 1 out of every 10 or so times. (It's also located in the same report with how it performed with the AP225) The throughput was decent but not as high as I expected it to be.

#AP225

• 3.  RE: 802.11ac adapters

Posted Jul 02, 2014 08:08 PM

Almost all the 11ac clients we have seen so far  in the wild are OSX (Intel/Apple) or Android SoC from Samsung/LG/HTC etc.

Over half of the handful of Windows boxen are Intel. Most The rest have OIDs from Azurewave (2) and one from Nokia and one, oddly, from Apple.

• 4.  RE: 802.11ac adapters
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 03, 2014 04:21 AM

I upgraded the wireless card in my laptop to the 7260. Tested with a 225 and the connection speed and hroughput was pretty good.

It was easy to install too.