Wireless Access

Regular Contributor II

802.11ac adapters

Not really a specific Aruba question, but what type of adapters are you guys seeing out there?

I'd like to start testing 802.11ac, but having some difficulty in finding adapters.

I see the Intel 7260, and that might be my only internal option.  

What are you guys seeing in the wild?

Occasional Contributor II

Re: 802.11ac adapters

Laptop adapters can be touchy since the manufacturers use a whitelist and block out other adapters being installed in the laptops. BIOS/EFI lockdown. They do this to overcharge on "certified" adapters or they want you to buy a better one in a mroe expensive laptop to begin with.

The Intel ones seem to be the easiest to get working in most laptops.

As for me my 802.11ac adapters are all external:

1) An Amped Wirelsss ACA1: I'ts been pretty good. Very high power and got great throughput with the AP225 (Link to my report)

2) A Netgear A6200: It's been decent, however does have some issues with sleep/hibernation mode and I have to reseat the adapter in the port to get it to connect again 1 out of every 10 or so times. (It's also located in the same report with how it performed with the AP225) The throughput was decent but not as high as I expected it to be.

Super Contributor I

Almost all the 11ac clients we have seen so far  in the wild are OSX (Intel/Apple) or Android SoC from Samsung/LG/HTC etc.

Over half of the handful of Windows boxen are Intel. Most The rest have OIDs from Azurewave (2) and one from Nokia and one, oddly, from Apple.

I upgraded the wireless card in my laptop to the 7260. Tested with a 225 and the connection speed and hroughput was pretty good.

It was easy to install too.

Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------
-------------------------------------------------------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: