Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

802.11ac client hardware

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  802.11ac client hardware

Posted May 20, 2013 12:11 AM

Hi All,

Just putting the feelers out there to see if anybody has used any 802.11ac USB type devices on a laptop.

I'm looking to gear up for some potential 802.11ac work coming up and am about to go buy something (unless HP make a laptop with 802.11ac in the next few weeks) to allow me to do some basic coverage testing / connect to the network.

Can anybody offer any suggestions or recommendations? I've been looking at this which seems adequate https://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC53/

The only downside is that it is only 2x2:2.

Anybody know of any 3x3:3 USB Devices out there? Most only seem to support upto 867Mbps but it would be great to see something go all the way to the 1.2 / 1.3 Gbps that seems to be part of wave one of the 802.11ac release.

Scott

• 2.  RE: 802.11ac client hardware

Posted Jun 27, 2013 12:35 AM

Hi all,

Looks like i'm the only one deploying 802.11ac at the moment!

well for the benefit of anybody else searching for the same thing, i managed to track down the best option for me at the time.

There doesn't appear to be any 3x3 USB devices ,i did find a heap of 2x2 devices but these all only supported USB 2.0 so they were bandwidth constrained at the USB port.

Trendnet appear to be the only vendor making a 2x2:2 device that supports USB 3.0. The TEW-805UB is the model i got. Not yet available in Australia but coming soon. I managed to import some from Canada without any fuss.

Hope that helps someone.

Scott

• 3.  RE: 802.11ac client hardware

Posted Jul 18, 2013 01:39 PM

For 802.11ac USB currently only the EDAMAX EW-7822-UAC supports USB 3.0,  Currently all the USB adapters are 2 stream so the PHY is limited to 866 Mb/Sec

If you have a desktop the Asus PCE-AC66 is a 3 stream client capable of 1300 Mb/Sec PHY  (3 stream MCS 9)