Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

802.11n client

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  802.11n client

Posted Aug 10, 2013 03:50 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

We use Airwave to manage Cisco 5508 WLC and 3600 APs. In RF Performance tab the clients in HT 40 MHZ (2,4 and 5 GHz) are zero, however 802.11n and 40 MHz are enabled in WLC (WPA2-AES, WMM enabled, etc.) and clients are 802.11n capables. Is this normal? Can Airwave show HT 40 MHz Cisco clients?

Thanks

Regards

• 2.  RE: 802.11n client

Posted Aug 11, 2013 05:39 AM

Hi,

Can u please screenshot your WLC ssid profile (the one with the 40mhz in 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz) - please , in order for us to understand if u should open a TAC or if it's an OK behavior.

• 3.  RE: 802.11n client

Posted Aug 12, 2013 05:37 AM

I attach SSID profile and some interesting screenshoots. Can we see  in Airwave the data rate (mbps) of connected clients?

Thanks in advance

• 4.  RE: 802.11n client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2013 03:26 PM

The RF Performance tab will only display SNR values from Cisco.  The speed and goodput graphs are only populated with information from Aruba device that support AMON (this is also mention in the user guide).

To see data rates for Cisco clients, you'll have to view the client list.  You'll see SSID, connection mode, and speed for clients on the client list page.

• 5.  RE: 802.11n client

Posted Aug 26, 2013 10:18 AM

Hi,

We need to know why the HT 40 MHz client count is zero. We have WLC configured to provide 40 Mhz and some clients connect this way. In client list, where data rate column is? Why “Ch BW” column is blank?

Thanks

Regards

• 6.  RE: 802.11n client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 26, 2013 06:03 PM

Go to Clients -> Connected

My list view is currently a custom set, so it may take some customization.

(sample of list view)

client-connected.jpg

Above the list view table is 'choose columns'

Select 'connection mode' and 'ch bw' and then save (at the top of the list)

After saving, the 2 columns should appear after page refresh.

choosecolumns.jpg

If 'Ch BW' entries are blank, it's possible that the source (Poll/Trap/AMON) did not carry the value.  On my lab AMP (which is currently only monitoring Aruba devices), I see the data coming from AMON source.  This may be a good point to open a support case to dig deeper, an SNMP walk of .1 OID may show whether or not the controller is providing the values.

• 7.  RE: 802.11n client

Posted Aug 27, 2013 06:28 AM

Here you can see our speed, goodput, connection mode and Ch BW columns.

It is clear that speed and goodput are only populated with information from Aruba device that support AMON and it seems the same with Ch BW. But we don’t understand why Ch Bw column is blank in client list but in RF performance tab we can see how many clients are connected in HT 20 MHz. If Airwave is not capable of reading Ch BW information from Cisco devices, how does it know HT20 client count? Why is Ch BW blank instead of HT20 tag for these clients?  

• 8.  RE: 802.11n client

Posted Aug 27, 2013 06:34 AM
      |   view attached

I'm sorry, here I attached the images

• 9.  RE: 802.11n client

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2013 10:14 AM

It's very possible that the OID we use for the values may have changed for a Cisco device.  What's the firmware version of the WLC so I can check in the code?

• 10.  RE: 802.11n client

Posted Aug 28, 2013 04:03 AM

Hi, 

The firmware version of the WLC is 7.2.111.3

Thanks

Regards