Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x + User Derivation role change

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  802.1x + User Derivation role change

Posted Feb 06, 2013 05:26 PM

Hey guys,

I have a list of MAC addresses I would like to "quarantine" as bad-actors using UDR on my WPA2 network.  The role "quarantine" has a different set of ACLs I'd like to apply to the user (i.e. NAT, etc).  This SSID/network is doing RADIUS authN to NPS using no server-derivation rules.  My AAA .1x default role is "authenticated" and no matter what the UDR rules say, I can't seem to change a user from that "authenticated" role to the "quarantine" UDR role (when it matches a bad-actor MAC address).  I can *however* change the VLAN successfully using UDR, but this is not a preferred design for us.  

Is this how UDR works when combined with 802.1x or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Eric

• 2.  RE: 802.1x + User Derivation role change

Posted Feb 06, 2013 05:53 PM

The default dot1X role (or server rules) will overwrite the UDR.      

• 3.  RE: 802.1x + User Derivation role change

Posted Feb 06, 2013 10:23 PM

As clembo said, the default dot1x role with override the UDR.  UDR occurs before the dot1x role is applied. Server rules are applied after.

In the server group defined in your AAA profile, you'll map the MAC addresses of the offending clients to the quarantine role.

In the GUI:

Authentication > Servers > Server Group > server_group_name

Click New under Server Rules and fill in the blanks:

Condition = macaddr

Operation = equals

operand = aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Action = set role

Value = quarantine-role

CLI:

aaa server-group "server_group_name"

set role condition macaddr equals "aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff" set-value quarantine-role

• 4.  RE: 802.1x + User Derivation role change

Posted Feb 07, 2013 10:58 AM

Great information, just one last question... are there size limitations (I've seen 127 as a possible limit in 6.1.3.1) to the server-rules list in 6.1.3.4 ?

Thanks again for your help on this, it's very much appreciated.

Eric

• 5.  RE: 802.1x + User Derivation role change

Posted Nov 03, 2015 02:02 PM

Thank you for this great post. Just what I needed.