Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

I've got 802.1x authentication set up on our network running 6.2.1.0 code and I've noticed this "issue" for as long as I've had it running.

If I walk out of the range of an AP that I am connected to with my laptop open(not sleeping) and running Mac OS X 10.7.5 I will lose connection then I pick up on another AP it will ask me to authenticate again.  If I choose cancel on the authentication dialog window then go choose the network again from the network chooser in the menu it will connect without any authentication request.

I have Validate PMKID enabled and Opportunistic Key Cache disabled on the 802.1x profile.

Is there any way to get it to not prompt the user to authenticate again and simply pick up SSID again?

Thanks!

MVP

Re: 802.1x and Mac OS X Clients

I believe there's a power save known issues with OS X 10.7.5, which is fix in 10.8.3

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Frequent Contributor II

So this would affect it if I'm not even putting my laptop to sleep or closing it?

What actually seems to work is when I shut the laptop, move to a new area and then open it up again.  Then it connects with no question.

MVP

I saw that same behavior with Macs running that OS X version 

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Frequent Contributor II

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2011 to 10.8.3 and it still prompts me to for login to 802.1x when I roam with my laptop open.

Guru Elite

The supplicant on the MAC alone is responsible for caching and re-submitting the username and password on a roam.  Look and see if you have any authentication failures in your radius server that would prompt a mac to ask for the username and password again.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

After you upgraded and you try authenticate did it requested to install the cert again ?
If not try deleting all the certs from the keychain access or reset it back to default
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: