Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x certificates

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  802.1x certificates

Posted Jun 01, 2015 09:14 AM

Hi Guys

Can someone please assist in directing me in the correct direction. Im looking to enable 802.1x authentication on an SSID, i believe that some sort of certificates are needed. Who can i contact and what do i ask for...?

Thanks

Nikesh

• 2.  RE: 802.1x certificates

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2015 09:16 AM

At a bare minimum, you need a server certificate for your RADIUS server.

• 3.  RE: 802.1x certificates
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 02, 2015 04:16 AM

Nikesh,

On the Aruba support Website, under Documentation -> Software -> ClearPass Policy Manager (eTIPS) -> Technotes (https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/7961/Default.aspx), there is an excellent document 'CPPM - Certificates 101 Technote V1.0 .pdf' that addresses the required certificates. This document is created for ClearPass, however because ClearPass implements open standards, the same certificate requirements apply to any 802.1x/RADIUS deployment.

In a very quick summary:

- For convenience, Windows Username/password can be used, this is called EAP-MSCHAPv2, is cryptographically broken (so should be avoided if reasonally be possible) and requires just a certificate on the RADIUS server.

- For best security, client certificates are used to authenticate the client, this is called EAP-TLS. In this case, in addition to the server certificate on the RADIUS, you will need a client certificate on each client. The distribution of the client certficate makes it more difficult to deploy.

The Certificate 101 guide will explain this in more depth.

Herman

• 4.  RE: 802.1x certificates

Posted Jun 02, 2015 10:03 AM

Thanks, i will read through the document and provide feedback.