Wireless Access

MVP

ADP Functionality

Recently I have noticed that some APs that already been preconfigure to get attached to a particular master controller will pick another master because ADP is enabled on that controller (That other controller doesn't have a config)

Will ADP take priority in the booting process even after the AP knows to what controller to talk to ?

Thanks

Vic

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Aruba Employee

Re: ADP Functionality

Unless you set the master when you provision the AP (or use the console and the "setenv masterip x.x.x.x" command), the AP will not remember it's master.  If it uses DHCP or ADP, the master value is not stored in NVRAM.

If the AP finds a master controller that doesnt have the correct AP group name (which IS stored in NVRAM), it won't boot properly.  If the newly discovered master DOES have the right AP group, the AP will do whatever that AP group tells it to do.

MVP

That's what strange that the new controller that the AP discovered is doesn't have any AP groups defined .

When we provisioned the AP on the right AP-Group we defined in the ap system profile what controller is supposed to connect to.

Also the aruba-master belongs to another controller .

My confusion is if the AP already it's been configured with all these values why it would attached to another controller that doesn't even have any config

We just started seeing these issues.

Thanks for your response

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Aruba Employee

The LMS-IP in the AP system profile is not stored in NVRAM.  Once the AP reboots, it "forgets" that info and has to rediscover a master, then relearn the AP sytem profile info.  When you provision an AP, it only "remembers" information that you input on the provisioning screen, not what it learns from the config on the master.

ADP is run before DNS (aruba-master), so if the new controller is on the same L2 segment as the AP, it will be discovered before DNS is attempted.

You can turn off ADP on the unwanted master using the command "adp discovery disable".

MVP

Thanks Olino that's what I had to do, I thought there was something that I was missing.

Quick question : Can I upgrade an AP from 3.3.x.x directly to 5.0.x.x or 6.1..x.x ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Aruba Employee

From 3.3.x, you should first go to 3.4.5.x, then to the 5.x or 6.x image you want.  This is per the 6.1.3.5 release notes.

MVP

THanks a bunch

Thank you

Victor Fabian
MVP

One last question , is there a way to disable ADP on the APs ?

Thanks

Vic

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Aruba Employee

Not that I know of.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]
Hi Onio, Am new to this group , am just going through previous discussions and have doubt regarding your comments in this thread Comment #1 given by you in this thread : ------------------------------------------------------- If the AP finds a master controller that doesnt have the correct AP group name (which IS stored in NVRAM) Comment#2 given by you in this thread: ------------------------------------------------------ When you provision an AP, it only "remembers" information that you input on the provisioning screen, not what it learns from the config on the master. As per comment#2 , AP does not store any information got from master but u r first comment saying "AP group name" stored in NVRAM. It is confusing , can you help me.
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: