Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ADP and Master Redundancy

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  ADP and Master Redundancy

Posted Feb 28, 2017 06:03 AM

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a Master Redundancy enviroment with 2x Aruba 7010.

It's very simple with only one interface VLAN existing.
    This VLAN interface is the one talking Master Redundancy with it's peer and also its controller-ip.

Now, the VLAN mentioned above is also the same VLAN as APs gets an IP from. Which means that APs and controllers are on the same VLAN/subnet.

I know that the controller announces its controller-ip to the APs when using ADP which makes it not so good, since i want to announce the VRRP-IP.

This is ofcourse if I have not missed something, and something magical happens when using VRRP.

So my workaround was to disable ADP and use DNS, and point the aruba-master record to the VRRP-IP.

I have configured "adp discovery disabled", but when I am writing this command it shows that the APs has discovered the master with ADP.

(Aruba7010) #show ap debug system-status ap-name ap07 | include discovered
    Master discovered by:ADP

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: ADP and Master Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2017 06:19 AM

The output of that command uses "ADP" to describe any method of discovery (DNS, DHCP, multicast), unfortunately.  It does not specify if it out based on DNS, DHCP or ADP specifically. (EDIT: It looks like this has been fixed) If ADP is turned off on both controllers and DNS is working it probably used DNS.  The only thing you can do is record the values in "show adp counters" on the controller, reboot the AP and make sure that "show adp counters" is the same, which means it did not discover the controller using ADP, at all.

• 3.  RE: ADP and Master Redundancy

Posted Feb 28, 2017 06:43 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

It turns out that the disabling of ADP was only done on one controller (however, show run in the second controller showed the command?). 

I could see in the master that it had 82 received ADP packets, but 0 TX, which means it did not answer.

The backup controller on the other hand had 82/82.

Shutting ADP of made the TX value to halt which seems like it gave effect.

Could you please verify that DNS or DHCP options is needed in Master Redundancy and NOT ADP because ADP announces the controller-ip and not the VRRP IP?

• 4.  RE: ADP and Master Redundancy
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 28, 2017 06:53 AM

Hi again,

I turned of ADP in both controller and got DNS working.

Just wanted to let you know that the command actually shows the right discovery method:

Same command now shows:

Master discovered by:DNS

• 5.  RE: ADP and Master Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2017 06:58 AM

Thank you for let me know that.  Glad you figured it out.