Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS 6

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AOS 6

Posted Dec 13, 2011 09:08 AM

Is there an advantage to the wireless user in upgrading to AOS 6 from 5?  Are there any specific features that are noticeable to the user?

• 2.  RE: AOS 6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2011 09:16 AM

There are too many enhancements to list in going from 5.x to 6.1.x. You should probably read through the release notes for 6.0 and 6.1. Spectrum analysis and DHCP fingerprinting are two of the highlights that come to mind.

• 3.  RE: AOS 6

Posted Dec 13, 2011 09:34 AM

I am aware of enhancements that will help manage & troubleshoot, particularly the spectrum analysis capability.  I am wondering if there is anything from the perspective of the wireless client - Joe User - that is really noticable.

• 4.  RE: AOS 6

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2011 04:53 PM

A couple highlights for the client side:

Broadcast and Multicast Optimization

Wi-Fi Edge Detection and Handover for Voice Clients

Real Time Call Quality Analysis

Too many bug fixes to list, but here is a sample:

44126 Client devices equipped with an Intel 4965AGN NIC can now maintain a connection and pass
    traffic when connected to an AP-125 via an HT SSID.

Also, I should mention that you have to go to 6.1.1.0 or above code in order to use the AP-135. That is a triple stream 802.11n AP capable of 450Mbps connection rates with triple stream compatible client devices (all MacBook Pros from this year are triple stream).

Personally I still see spectrum analysis as a direct benefit to the client, because it will allow you to find interfering devices. After removing those devices, the clients might see an increase in wireless throughput.

• 5.  RE: AOS 6

Posted Dec 14, 2011 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info.  I also had reviewed the release notes.  I believe the voice & multicast features will be sufficient improvement for the customers to want the upgrade.  I assume that these have been tested out in the field & really do perform as advertised.

I also think that the spectrum analysis feature is a major improvement - the one I am most excited about - but unless a site has experienced interference problems, they do not understand what a huge advantage it would be to have it.  Most have no idea what spectrum analysis is.