Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS 8 upgrade with M3 Master

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AOS 8 upgrade with M3 Master

Posted Jun 19, 2017 08:44 AM
      |   view attached

Heya All!

We're 2 weeks into an upgrade from 2-M3 blade Master/standby master controllers, with 4 7240 local controllers, all running 6.4.4.6.  It's our intention to move to a VMM 8.1.0.1 (already up) utilizing the Migration tool 3.0.8 (already up). 

We started an aruba case nearly 2 weeks ago to assist with this process, but that has gone terrible.  I'm at the point where I'll get some of the best support, the community!

The issue we're running into is when we plug everything into the Migration tool, there is no 8.x image for the Master controller migration to Mobility Master.  We realize that the M3 blades will not migrate, and are surplusing those after the migration.  We don't have any access points terminating to these blades.  We would like all of the configuration to move to the VMM, along with the 4 local controllers.

I've attached an image which shows where we're stuck in selecting an AOS 8 image.  We've attempted several version 8 images, but none work.  This image is not actually going onto the old Master Controller at all.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: AOS 8 upgrade with M3 Master
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 09:15 AM

There is no upgrade path to go from M3 6.x to 8.x VMM/7240. You would either first need to migrate your 6.4.4.6 M3 to 6.4.4.6 7240, THEN migrate that to VMM, or you would start from scratch, build out your VMM config and add the 7240s to it, then start swinging over APs from the old M3 to the new 8.1.0.1 VMM/7240. 

The migration tool only support migration from/to the same hardware.

• 3.  RE: AOS 8 upgrade with M3 Master

Posted Jun 19, 2017 09:59 AM

Thanks for the great answer!  I wish I had known a bit ago, but this gives me a path to get there.  Much appreciated!

• 4.  RE: AOS 8 upgrade with M3 Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 10:50 AM

Note that you can take the flash backup off the M3s, restore it to the 7240s running the same version of firmware, then fix licensing and network interface config to match and then use that to do the migration. And since your M3s are still in place, you could do all this off-line over to the VMM and then when ready, make the switch. This would also allow you to stand up your 8.1.0.1 environment, put a handful of APs on it to test to make sure it's all working as expected, then take the plunge :)