Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-105 powering up but not acquiring the IP Address - Laptop gets the IP on same port/cable

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP-105 powering up but not acquiring the IP Address - Laptop gets the IP on same port/cable

Posted Feb 08, 2018 11:06 AM

Hi,
    We use 100s of Aruba AP-105. We have recently installed one AP to our building where CAT5e ethernet cable comes from the switch in different floor via the external wall. Its a external grade ethernet cable. The switch is Procurve 2620 PoE. The distance from the switch to the AP is about 40-50 metres.

AP Led status:

PWR - Green
    ENET - Red
    11 A/N - not lit
    11 B/G/N - not lit

Laptop gets IP if I unplug the AP and plug the Laptop, however AP is not getting the IP at all. I have tried three different AP-105, all has exact same problem. If I plug these AP direct to the same switch on any ports then it gets IP.

I have also tried with the PoE Injector, but still it does not get the IP.

Is it the cable issue ?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

• 2.  RE: AP-105 powering up but not acquiring the IP Address - Laptop gets the IP on same port/cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 08, 2018 11:33 AM

It does sound like a cabling issue.  There isn't even a "RED" LED indicator in the table here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=8855

Screenshot 2018-02-08 at 08.31.41.png

• 3.  RE: AP-105 powering up but not acquiring the IP Address - Laptop gets the IP on same port/cable

Posted Feb 09, 2018 03:16 AM

Hi Colin,

its Amber led (typo)

Out of curiosity, If it is a cabling issue then why any Laptops/Surface has no problem getting the IP.

thank you

• 4.  RE: AP-105 powering up but not acquiring the IP Address - Laptop gets the IP on same port/cable
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2018 03:39 AM

poe/data requires 4 pairs.  data only requires 2 pairs.  test the cable.

• 5.  RE: AP-105 powering up but not acquiring the IP Address - Laptop gets the IP on same port/cable

Posted Feb 09, 2018 08:43 AM

I would agree with the cable. We have had the same problem. The port on the gigabit switch as set to auto but the AP was only connecting at 100 meg (hence the amber lit). It turned out to be a bad pair.