Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-175 Porta/Point & Juniper Problem

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP-175 Porta/Point & Juniper Problem

Posted Jul 23, 2012 03:57 PM

Airheads,

I have a situation with a AP175 Portal and Point that is basically just a bridge between networks.  This is a new install and this wireless bridge supports 5 vlans across it including voip.  The switch connected to the portal AP-175 is a Juniper ex4200 with Junos 11.4 and a Juniper ex4200 on the point side as well. While working this works great.    However, if I take the Portal down or if the Point loses power I have to do the following:

Remove all vlans except the primary from the Juniper switch port connected to the Portal.  Remove the native vlan setting on the Juniper port setting for the portal. Change the port to a access port.

Then when the Portal comes up again which it does:

Put the trunking back on the Juniper, put the native vlan back on the juniper and all the rest of the vlans and it works fine until something causes it to lose power or gets disconnected for some reason.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TC

• 2.  RE: AP-175 Porta/Point & Juniper Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2012 07:33 PM

- What version of ArubaOS?

- How long do you wait for the mesh link to come back up?

• 3.  RE: AP-175 Porta/Point & Juniper Problem

Posted Jul 24, 2012 08:57 AM

When I installed them a few weeks ago it was 5.3 but I have upgraded to 6.1.3.  The upgrade did not effect the problem.  I have waited an hour or so before I proceed with the "work around".  A AP-175 must be able to establish a GRE tunnel and cannot do that on a tagged vlan which is why we have the "Native VLAN" configuration.  I am starting to wonder if the Juniper switch "Native VLAN" settings for that port are working as they should.

Thanks,

AC & TC

• 4.  RE: AP-175 Porta/Point & Juniper Problem

Posted Jul 24, 2012 04:24 PM

Ok, I found the problem.  It is a Juniper Junos - EX4200 issue.  It appears they do not treat Native VLANS and VLAN members exactly the same as Cisco and Aruba does. 

• 5.  RE: AP-175 Porta/Point & Juniper Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2012 08:30 PM

AC,

Thank you for letting us know that..

• 6.  RE: AP-175 Porta/Point & Juniper Problem
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2012 05:20 PM
      |   view attached

Your welcome and I attached a one page pdf file from Juniper that explains the major difference and how to configure it on Juniper to accomplish sending untagged packets accross the native vlan in order to be able to establish a gre tunnel on a trunked Juniper interface.

Thanks,

AC