Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 175P questions

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP 175P questions

Posted Feb 12, 2014 10:49 PM

Hello! everyone!

im not too experienced on outdoor antenas, and i would like to ask the ones that got experience with them

I got a client would like to do a point to point bridge betwee 2 buildings

The building is like 150 feets away from each other, i can even get decent signal on 2.4ghz with a ap 105  which is 64 dbm....

So i guess there wont be any issue with the distance in this case.

My first questions:

As the client just want the link between both sites what happens if i just buy  the antenas of 5ghz and i dont buy the antenas of the 2.4ghz to make it a bit cheaper.  Would be any issue with it???

I was planning on putting just the 5ghz antena, and not putting the 2.4ghz antena to cut cost...

Take in mind this are instant APs.

Second question

What would be the range for an Antena this antenna in meters or feets?

1-ANT 2x2 5614L of 60 degrees and 14 DBI gain(this works on 5ghz only)

2-ANT 2x2 2314 30 Degrees and 14 Dbi gain(this works only on 2.4ghz)

I ask this because there are other site in which the 2 sites are separated by 500meters and i want to pick the apropiate antena.

Another questions

If we decided to go with AP 134(put the AP 134 inside and put the Antena outside  using this antenna

AP ANT 18  of 60 Degrees

What would be the distance i would be able to achive for a point to point bridge??

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: AP 175P questions
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2014 09:41 AM

If this is a simple PTP link, did you also consider the MST200s?  They have integrated antennas.  Also, check here:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/resources/reference-design-guides/#Outdoor_Mesh

TO answer your questions - 

1. If the 2.4 radios are disabled, you should be fine

2. There are several antenna guides available on our website.  The link above also gives a good description.  However, we would not recommend the 134 inside with an exterior for this deployment. 

• 3.  RE: AP 175P questions

Posted Feb 13, 2014 09:48 AM

What would be the distance that you can achive with this?

It doesnt need controller?

it is easy to configure?

I have never used or confgured this kind of AP...

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: AP 175P questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2014 09:51 AM

I would take a look at the data sheet for it.  It will do the distances you require.  

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_MST200.pdf

It runs on its own OS called MeshOS.  It is different that Instant or a controller. It's its own system so no controller needed.

• 5.  RE: AP 175P questions

Posted Feb 13, 2014 09:57 AM

It is hard to configure a simple point to point link? on them? i mean that if i require special training for simple config?

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: AP 175P questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2014 09:59 AM

Look at the VRD I linked in my first post - it shows you exactly how to do it

• 7.  RE: AP 175P questions

Posted Feb 13, 2014 10:15 AM

Thank you i just saw it

guess ill go with your recommendation ST200s

And yes is a simple point to point link

The scenario is the client got 2 buildings

in Building A he has the internet connection

In building B he has some computers that he wish to give it internet connection

So the idea is doing a point to point link between 2 buildings and that way letting the building B having internet tthough the point to point link with the MST200s

So now i explained the scanerio you think the MST200s is the best option right? :)

You know what distance i can achive with this point to point link? i ask you this because there is another site in which this client is thinking in using it.   But thats around 500meters and in the other site he would like to use it its 1 kilometer...

But the one that he need it like right now its just 150 feets away in which i can even reach a 60dbm signal with 2.4ghz channel with a 105!

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: AP 175P questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2014 02:26 AM

Check the outdoor VRD for the rate v range graph at HT40, using the 5614 to 5614 plot . HT20 would be roughly half.HT40 rate v range