Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-207 consuming more after Upgrade to 6.5.2.1

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP-207 consuming more after Upgrade to 6.5.2.1

Posted Jun 21, 2017 06:48 AM

I have a WLAN network with one CTRL 7210 running 6.5.2.1 upgraded from the 6.5.1.5

Before the upgrade, all the indoor AP-207 (72 = 12 APs in each one of the 6 buildings) were UP and only the Outdoor were down.

After the upgrade, the Outdoor 365-APs became UP but some of the Indoor one (2 per each buildings) are down.

In each building, we are using 2 Access Switches (HP 2530 - 8G) to connect and power the 12 Indoor APs.

It seems that when we did the upgrade, the indoor access points are consuming more energy and thus the Switch can’t power more than 5 APs !!! And that's what i found when i check the datasheets (Max PoE Budget of the Switch is 67 W while Max Power Consumption of the AP is 12 W)

Do you have an idea for this ? Can we disable some unnecessary 6.5.2.1 features that are consuming energy on the APs ?

• 2.  RE: AP-207 consuming more after Upgrade to 6.5.2.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 07:13 AM

Are you budgeting for 12 watts for each AP?  The AP-207 will consume less energy when idle (5 watts), but you should be planning for 12.  It is possible that your APs were idle before you upgraded.  I don't believe that there are further power saving features on the AP207

http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP207Series.pdf

207power.png

• 3.  RE: AP-207 consuming more after Upgrade to 6.5.2.1

Posted Jun 21, 2017 07:28 AM

Thanks for the reply,

Actually, the Access Points are idle either before or after the upgrade.

But why before the upgrade all the Access Points were OK?

• 4.  RE: AP-207 consuming more after Upgrade to 6.5.2.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 08:20 PM

I don't know what the state of your devices before the upgrade, but you must reserve 12 watts for each AP, otherwise you will have problems.

• 5.  RE: AP-207 consuming more after Upgrade to 6.5.2.1

Posted Jun 23, 2017 11:48 AM

The status of the devices before the upgrade is the same like the status before the upgrade. All the Access Points are iddle, and the Access poinnt Comsumption in iddle mode is only 5.3 Watt. So normally, the Switch (67 Watt PoE capacity) should be able to power my 6 APs.

I think that there is a power negociation that is done based on worst case Power consumption (12.3 Watt) between the swicth and the access points; which make the switch refusing more than 5 APs and generating power alarms; I think that this negociation is a new feature in 6.5.2.x version; and that's why the problem happens only after the upgrade.

This is the only explanation I found for this behavior; what do you think?