Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-215 without controller? No go?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP-215 without controller? No go?

Posted Nov 19, 2016 06:05 AM

Hi all.

Sorry for the noob question but I received a surplus NIB AP-215 that I was hoping to use it at home for my WiFi by plugging it into a router (via POE obviously).

However after reading here i gather that I need a controller to make this work. Is there a way to do this with software e.g a VM on a computer or reflash the AP with new firmware? or am I better off putting it in the too hard basket and getting something that doesn't require a controller.

Cheers

• 2.  RE: AP-215 without controller? No go?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2016 08:00 AM

If it is an IAP-215 it can work without a controller.  If it is not, it requires a controller.

• 3.  RE: AP-215 without controller? No go?

Posted Nov 19, 2016 08:36 PM
      |   view attached
    The model is APIN215 and there is a small white sticker saying AP-215 so I'm guessing I'm out of luck?

• 4.  RE: AP-215 without controller? No go?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2016 11:27 AM

Correct.  You need a controller for that model..

• 5.  RE: AP-215 without controller? No go?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2016 02:19 PM
    To my understanding the hardware is identical with IAP-215 (where the I stands for instant, indicating that it works without a separate controller.) Maybe someone with more experience can help if there is a way to flash the firmware so the AP becomes an IAP.

• 6.  RE: AP-215 without controller? No go?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2016 02:20 PM

No. An AP cannot be flashed to become an IAP.

• 7.  RE: AP-215 without controller? No go?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2016 05:55 PM

There are FCC regulatory restrictions, requiring that anything running IAP software be set from the factory that way. IAP can go to controller, but not the other way around.