Wireless Access

New Contributor

AP-215 without controller? No go?

Hi all.

Sorry for the noob question but I received a surplus NIB AP-215 that I was hoping to use it at home for my WiFi by plugging it into a router (via POE obviously).

However after reading here i gather that I need a controller to make this work. Is there a way to do this with software e.g a VM on a computer or reflash the AP with new firmware? or am I better off putting it in the too hard basket and getting something that doesn't require a controller.

Cheers

Guru Elite

Re: AP-215 without controller? No go?

If it is an IAP-215 it can work without a controller.  If it is not, it requires a controller.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

The model is APIN215 and there is a small white sticker saying AP-215 so I'm guessing I'm out of luck?
Guru Elite

Correct.  You need a controller for that model..

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

To my understanding the hardware is identical with IAP-215 (where the I stands for instant, indicating that it works without a separate controller.) Maybe someone with more experience can help if there is a way to flash the firmware so the AP becomes an IAP.
Guru Elite

No. An AP cannot be flashed to become an IAP.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

There are FCC regulatory restrictions, requiring that anything running IAP software be set from the factory that way. IAP can go to controller, but not the other way around.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: