Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP-215s can't find controller via ADP after upgrade to 6.5.4.2

I was able to get version 6.5.4.2 installed on our 7030 because of the WPA2 issue and most APs came back up after a few minutes except for our 6 AP-215s.  They just keep power cycling after failing to find our controller via ADP.  The only quick solution that support has been able to offer is to program the WAPs to point to the controller manually.  I can do this easily with two of our WAPs, however, this is not a desirable solution.  I also have a packet capture if that is of interest.  Is anyone else having any trouble after this latest update?

Occasional Contributor II

Re: AP-215s can't find controller via ADP after upgrade to 6.5.4.2

I'm in a similar situation.  I upgraded and lost 3 APs connected to my 7005 controller.  I've been on the phone with TAC and they couldn't get them back because I couldn't attach a console cable to them due to where they are mounted.  TAC issued RMAs for all of my APs (2xAP225 and 1xAP325).  

If anyone knows how to recover without a console cable then please let me know... TAC was unable to find a solution.

Occasional Contributor I

I just got off of the phone with Aruba support and they said that they know of the issue and are working on a fix.  I have sent them a packet capture of the WAPs trying to connect, the controller tech log and a log of the WAPs booting up.  I hope that they can find a fix soon as well, because I have four WAPs that are very hard to gain physical access to.  

UPDATE:  Just received a call from Aruba and the tech said that the 6.5.3.3 (this version fixes the WPA2 vulnerability too) version does not have the issue.  I'm going to upload it after hours and check it out.

I tried 6.5.3.3 this morning... and my APs still don't register... I see them attempt to create the GRE tunnel but they never complete.  Then they reboot and try again.  I don't know how they can be recovered at this point since they can't seem to find the controller any longer...

Occasional Contributor I

Sorry to hear about that njaiswal.  Now you have me worried about my update at 4:30 pm CST.  Have you tried contacting Aruba support? 

UPDATE:  I just applied the 6.5.3.3 and, like you, I am running in to the same issue.  >:-(  I really don't want to get in the cherry picker to get these 215s.  

That's the boat I'm in... TAC's only response was to RMA the affected APs. I have 2 of the 3 arriving tomorrow and the third arriving on the 24th.. I'm scheduling my electricians to come and swap them out... there is no way I'm climbing up a ladder to change APs mounted 18 ft high... :-/

Occasional Contributor I

Have you tried manually configuring them to point to the controller?  That's what I'm doing, because I don't have time to wait for some replacement hardware (honestly, I feel that it's a software issue anyway).

Terminaled into the WAP via the console port:

setenv serverip <controller_IP>
setenv master <controller_IP>
saveenv
boot

Guru Elite

It looks like you have the ip address for your access points statically configured.  Are they on the same VLAN as the controller?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks Derick.  Unfortuantely, I'm in the same boat as you with respect to where the APs are mounted... I have no way of getting to them until I have our electricians go fetch them...

Guru Elite

It might be too late to say this, but it is a best practice to use dhcp for your access points.  If you statically IP them, if you ever wanted to reconfigure your network and you somehow remove the discovery method you first configured, the access points will be dead in the water.  If they were dhcp, they would reboot and discover the controller using any available method like DNS, dhcp option, multicast, etc with minimal effort from you.

With that being said, what was your discovery method initially?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: