Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 225 and AP 335 mix

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP 225 and AP 335 mix

Posted Jun 30, 2017 11:25 AM

We have AP-225s deployed in our building. We have recently purchased the AC wave 2 AP 335s to replace some old AP 125s. Now we are going to have a mix of 225s and 335s.  Please note that 335s are AC wave 2 type. 

What is the best method to deploy these so that we get best performance. I am thinking of deploying 335s with MU-MIMO support in areas where we have more users concentration, in big conference rooms, open areas, hallways etc. 

Would it matter if the building is a mix of both APs in mix OR do we need to have portion (area) of building on 335 and another portion on 225. I want to know if there would be any issue while users are roaming from one AP type to another. 

Can anyone provide best recommended approach please?

• 2.  RE: AP 225 and AP 335 mix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2017 11:36 AM
    Very few devices support NU-Mimo today, so you should be fine deploying them together for the foreseeable future...

• 3.  RE: AP 225 and AP 335 mix

Posted Jun 30, 2017 02:11 PM

We are deploying it now but we are plannign to keep them for 4-5 yrs. One suggestion I had from an Aruba Partner was to deploy 225s in one area and 335s in another area to avoid. I thnk he was refering to the following:

- Keep access points of different phy types (a/n/ac) access points separate from each other if possible- Access points within earshot of each other that have different phy types will can provide uneven roaming.  At maximum your clients will favor 802.11n/ac access points, even though a non-802.11n/ac access point is closer and could possibly cause performance issues.  It also will make your RF less predictable.  Try to keep your deployment areas uniform to avoid such issues.

community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978

Do you see it applies in my case where AC and AC Wave 2 is mixed?

• 4.  RE: AP 225 and AP 335 mix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2017 02:17 PM

Falam,

You could certainly keep them separate to avoid any issues.