Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

MVP
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 03:38 PM

I have a customer who has deployed (2) 274 APs and want to verify the horizontal and vertical antennas are plugged into the correct spot. I was told their was a command to run in the controller that could help to verify this, but I can't seem to find it. Anybody know the command? These are mounted high enough that it's not visible by the eye.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 03:46 PM

You can look at the CLI guide for the "RFT" command set, but I don't know if they will work on 11ac APs. You will also have to put a client on that AP to test, so if they are high gain directional antennas, getting a client to associate may be tough. 

The main thing is to make sure that the CH0 connector is connected. What antenna model was used on the 274? If it's a 2-element antenna, it should be CH0 and CH1 with a terminator on CH2.

• 3.  RE: AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

MVP
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 03:50 PM

The antennas we used were omni-directional, I believe 2005 and 5005.

I will pull the CLI guide up and look for that command. Thanks.

• 4.  RE: AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 03:53 PM

You could use the RFT Test Command.  You would need to have a WLAN client very close by for the AP to send some frames to:

rft test profile antenna-connectivity ap-name <name of ap> dest-mac <mac of client nearby> radio <0 or 1 depending on what band the client is on>

It would spit back out a transaction ID and then you would type "show rft result trans-id <transaction id>" to obtain the result.  Below is a sample:

(Aruba7005-US) #rft test profile antenna-connectivity ap-name Office-325 dest-mac 64:30:99:92:4a:5f radio 0
    Transaction ID: 801

(Aruba7005-US) #show rft result trans-id 801

Profile AntennaConnectivity, TransID 801, AP 192.168.1.102, Dest 64:80:99:92:4a:5f, Radio 0
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Antenna Connectivity Test Result
    --------------------------------
    Antenna 1: Avg S/N ratio:  0    Success Rate:  99%
    Antenna 2: Avg S/N ratio:  0    Success Rate: 100%
    Difference:                0                    1%

• 5.  RE: AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

MVP
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 03:56 PM

So I assume that's the results if they were connected correctly. If the vertical and horizontal antennas were switched, what would I expect to see a worse success rate?

• 6.  RE: AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 03:58 PM

So long as you are on CH0 with one or the other, you will be fine regardless of which one is on CH0 and CH1. If you use a 3x3 kit, and every connector has an antenna, you will be fine.