Wireless Access

AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

I have a customer who has deployed (2) 274 APs and want to verify the horizontal and vertical antennas are plugged into the correct spot. I was told their was a command to run in the controller that could help to verify this, but I can't seem to find it. Anybody know the command? These are mounted high enough that it's not visible by the eye.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Michael Haring | AIS Consultant
Architecture and Implementation Solutions
Optiv Security Inc. | www.optiv.com

Re: AP-274 - Verify Antenna Connections

You can look at the CLI guide for the "RFT" command set, but I don't know if they will work on 11ac APs. You will also have to put a client on that AP to test, so if they are high gain directional antennas, getting a client to associate may be tough. 

The main thing is to make sure that the CH0 connector is connected. What antenna model was used on the 274? If it's a 2-element antenna, it should be CH0 and CH1 with a terminator on CH2.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer

The antennas we used were omni-directional, I believe 2005 and 5005.

I will pull the CLI guide up and look for that command. Thanks.

Thank you.

Guru Elite

You could use the RFT Test Command.  You would need to have a WLAN client very close by for the AP to send some frames to:

rft test profile antenna-connectivity ap-name <name of ap> dest-mac <mac of client nearby> radio <0 or 1 depending on what band the client is on>

It would spit back out a transaction ID and then you would type "show rft result trans-id <transaction id>" to obtain the result.  Below is a sample:

(Aruba7005-US) #rft test profile antenna-connectivity ap-name Office-325 dest-mac 64:30:99:92:4a:5f radio 0
Transaction ID: 801

(Aruba7005-US) #show rft result trans-id 801

Profile AntennaConnectivity, TransID 801, AP 192.168.1.102, Dest 64:80:99:92:4a:5f, Radio 0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antenna Connectivity Test Result
--------------------------------
Antenna 1: Avg S/N ratio:  0    Success Rate:  99%
Antenna 2: Avg S/N ratio:  0    Success Rate: 100%
Difference:                0                    1%

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

So I assume that's the results if they were connected correctly. If the vertical and horizontal antennas were switched, what would I expect to see a worse success rate?

Thank you.

So long as you are on CH0 with one or the other, you will be fine regardless of which one is on CH0 and CH1. If you use a 3x3 kit, and every connector has an antenna, you will be fine.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: