Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 275 with midspan injector

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP 275 with midspan injector

Posted Aug 25, 2015 02:48 AM

Hi

I have a 3 AP-275's that are installed in remote locations with each one using a PD-9001GR-AC midspan power injector to power the AP due to the switch not being AT compatible.

We have an issue where the AP's come online but they have the issue that there are not getting enough power so they are disabling the radios. 

We are currently running version 6.4.2.6 of code on the controller.

I am heading into the main office tomorrow to try and get to the bottom of the issues, I am hoping that someone else has seen this and can provide some insight. We are hoping to not have to send someone to the remote location but it may be necessary if I can;t get this sorted.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2015 07:22 AM

The length and the quality of the cable play a big part in how far you can put that access point.  How long is the cable?

• 3.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2015 08:14 AM

Colin is on the right track to look at the cable, if the length of the cable exceeds the spec, it will induce too muhc loss in the cable to provide neough power. Also, if the cbale is not of the right type (say cheaper, thinner cat5 instead of spec Cat5e or Cat6, there will be too much of a voltage drop over a longer wire to supply the corect voltage. Finally, wire temp has some play in this if/when you get to the threshold of wire guage, length, or both.

Also was the cables solidly tested end to end for both integrity and continuity with a Fluke probe? 

Not specific to your problem, but has good info on the kinds of things to look at

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/AP275-Radio-disabled-due-to-low-power/m-p/165040#M35058

So let us know the following:

1. exact type of wire, finding out rating and wire gauge

2. length of cable

3. environment it's in (not likely relevant)

• 4.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

Posted Aug 25, 2015 08:18 AM

Hi,

When direct power sourcing option is available, why are you using Power injector ? any specific reason ?

It looks like the issue is with power source it self. try with direct power sourcing 

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 5.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

Posted Aug 25, 2015 08:21 AM

Hi,

When direct power sourcing option is available, why are you using Power injector ? any specific reason ?

it looks like the issue is with power source it self. try with direct power sourcing 

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 6.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

Posted Aug 26, 2015 04:32 PM
    Hi all. thanks for the feedback. i am waiting on the cable specs and test results.

I am using injectors as the switches in place are not poe+.

Have to wait a few more days to work on after an unexpected trip to hospital and surgery.

Will work on it next week and respond with findins.

Thanks

• 7.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

Posted Aug 26, 2015 11:39 PM

It is totally power issue I assume you have it on controller with flag "I" try to power it with AC and it will work and also I tried this AP with 9005 PoE and worked but I didn't try wiith 9001

• 8.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

Posted Aug 31, 2015 08:13 PM

Hi All

We worked out what the issue was.

The electrical contractor when connecting the access point connected the AP to the injector but had not connected the power cable to the injector. As they had not told us yet what port they had connected it to the AP obtained power from the switch, but only 15w of power.

They then connected the power cord to the injector, however the AP still thought it only had 15w of power avaialble.

We disabled the POE on the switch for that port and had rebooted the AP via the CLI but the AP was stuck thinking that only 15w of power was available.

In the end we just had to disconnect the AP from the injector for 5 minutes then connect it again. The AP then realised that it had an injector and was able to obtain 30W of power and be fully operational.

We have amended the install instructions for the cablers and are now working correctly.

Thanks all for your help.

Ryan 

• 9.  RE: AP 275 with midspan injector

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2015 08:51 AM

Good deal...

To note for anyone else finding/reading this. Some power injectors (including PowerDSine) will allow POE power from the switch to pass through the injector. As such, if you have an 802.3at injector connected to an 802.3af switch, the injector will sense POE and will pass through 802.3af power to the AP. HOWEVER, if you power up the injector connected to the AP, and THEN connect to the POE switch, the injector will remain at 802.3at.

You could however find yourself in a situation where the AP reboots, power outage, etc where the injector gets reset and passes 802.3af power and your AP no longer comes up. So if you find yourself in this situation, where you have 802.3at injectors connected to 802.3af switches to power 802.3at required access points, it's STRONGLY recommended that you disable POE on the ports where these injectors are connected.