Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP-318 gets no VAP

Hello,

I'm configuring an Aruba virtual mobilty controller with different APs for a customer.

There are AP-365 which connect and work fine.

There are also AP-318 with Ant-48 which connect to the controller but don't turn the radios on.

In the "show ap database long" they are marked I = inactive

I tried every solution I could find in various discussions, checked everything and found out that they don't get a VAP, which is confusing, since they are in the same AP-Group as the AP-365 which get their VAP and work perfectly.

In another AP-group I have some AP-314 with ANT-48, they also do their job without any problems, for them I even use MAC & dot1x authentication with CPPM.

As I've written, only the AP318 make problems ...

I did a show tech on one of the AP-318 and attached it, maybe someone has a clue, what I missed.

Aruba Employee

Re: AP-318 gets no VAP

When you provisioned the new AP-318 to set the AP Group, did you also configure the antenna gains for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios?

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Occasional Contributor I

Yes I did, without it, the Provisioning wouldn't have worked. (I made this mistake when I tried to provision the 314 APs)

Aruba Employee

Could it be a regulatory domain mismatch for the AP-318? What regulatory domain is the controller configured for, and does the AP-318 match that?

Charlie Clemmer
Occasional Contributor I

This was also my best guess, as a colleague of me told me that he had a similar issue with AP-315, some lines where missing and DE didn't work on them.

The VMC (Virtual Mobility Controller)is configured for Germany.

I did log into an AP to join it to the VMC, but even in the advanced options I couldn't find anything to change or enter the regulatory domain.

How can I check and change it?

Aruba Employee

With the VMC configured for Germany, the AP318 should be a JZ152A model for Rest of World compliance.

Charlie Clemmer
Occasional Contributor I

This is what the customer ordered, so there shouldn't be any issue with that.

Highlighted

What version are you running ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Architect @WEI
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Occasional Contributor I

VMC is the latest (8.3.0.0) and AP-318 are also version 8.3.0.0. Otherwise the APs couldn't join the VMC, I had to upgrade from 8.2.

Frequent Contributor I

If you look at the logs, yo ucan see that the Ap is using 802.3af (PoE) - see attachment. This AP needs PoE+ to work properly.

Please check ,from the switch side, how much power the AP is drawing (as I believe it is drawing 15.4 W) and enable LLDP on that port (which I think it is disalbed) so that the AP draws 31 W (PoE+). Then, after making sure that the AP is using PoE+ the radios should turn on.

I had this issue with a AP-275 and i fixed it by enabling LLDP on the switchport and making sure that the AP was drawing PoE+

HTH

Kevin

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: